Fall just descended on our doorsteps today. Actually, it’s been building up to it for a bit, with the whole leaf-changing-colors thing, but today, stepping out the door this morning to walk the dogs, it was downright chilly outside. That felt like fall. When fall rolls around I start dishing out the soups, like this Vegan Minestrone. But today didn’t feel like a minestrone kind of day. I needed something more hearty. That’s why I’m sharing with you this recipe for Vegan Beefless Stew.
We love a recipe that results in leftovers.
It’s seriously high on our list of qualities for a dish. Well, that, and taste too. I mean, what good are the leftovers if you don’t really like it that much?
So when you fix a recipe like this Vegan Beefless Stew that’s both tasty and creates some leftovers for the week – you know you’ve got a winner.
Why Vegans Like Stew
There have been some people over the years who’ve questioned me for recreating vegan versions of dishes from my childhood. As if we make the leap to becoming vegan and we have to give up everything we loved from our past? Whatever!
I make no apologies for loving beef stew.
I can remember my mom making beef stew; the aroma would make its way throughout the house so we all knew it was coming. Even though I was kind of a picky eater (not as picky as Shawn was in his childhood!), I still liked it when mom made beef stew. There’s nothing like the flavor of potatoes and carrots roasted in a savory sauce!
I make no apologies for creating and loving a vegan version of beef stew today.
I still like that savory stew flavor today and this Vegan Beefless Stew recipe brings it all home in such a healthy, satisfying way!
Shawn and I have been perfecting a vegan version of vegan beefless stew over the years and I think it tastes pretty darn good. We liked it so much we made a video about it too.
So, why do vegans like stew? I don’t know. Maybe for the same reason anyone likes stew. Because it’s savory, comfort food perfect for fall (and winter) nights.
Oh, and there’s leftovers too!
Vegan Beefless Stew
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1 medium onion peeled and chopped
- 2 cups baby carrots chopped
- 3 -4 medium red potatoes scrubbed and chopped into ½" cubes
- 34 oz vegetable broth
- 15 oz can corn drained
- 15 oz can stewed tomatoes with juice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 package Gardein Beefless Tips
- Optional: 1 tablespoon red wine
- Pour 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a dutch oven and heat over medium heat. Add the chopped onions, carrots, and cubed potatoes and cook about 10 minutes, until the vegetables are just starting to become tender.
- Add the vegetable broth, drained corn, the whole can (with juicof stewed tomatoes, and a bay leaf. Bring to a simmer.
- Pour the second tablespoon of olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the Gardein Beefless Tips and stir until each piece is coated with oil. Cook over medium heat until each side is browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the browned beefless tips to the pot and continue simmering for another 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to combine. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
- Optional: Add a tablespoon of red wine to the stew as it's cooking. This adds a nice flavor to the finished stew.