Are you into thick, savory, cheesy soups? Yah? Me too. That’s why I know you’re going to love this Vegan Cheeseburger Soup recipe. Who knew vegan could be so darn tasty.
People have asked me, Why are you always creating vegan version of traditional foods?
Sometimes I answer, Because I can.
Oh, to be honest, that’s probably a little too smart-aleck response from me. I’d save that kind of response for people I really know well. And like. I’m only that snarky with people I really care about. 🙂
So, another response might be…because I love it!
The Best Vegan Cheeseburger Soup
We love savory soups. In fact, we’re to the point now that we buy big bags of carrots at Costco. They’re so perfect to add to our winter soup recipes.
This vegan cheeseburger soup is creamy, savory, and full of good-for-you ingredients, like carrots. I’ve also added some chopped potatoes to make each bite even tastier.
Also, this recipe is not too complicated to make. It does help if you’ve got some soaked cashews on hand, but if you forget the soaking, you can do a quick soak too. (see instructions below).
We love making soups because we know that means we’ll have some leftovers for the week. This is perfect to pack in lunches, reheat for a quick weeknight meal, or even serve for guests as well.
Be sure to serve this soup with crackers or croutons. I also think it would go perfectly with a slice of this Artisan Fig and Pecan Bread. How perfect!
I’ve also been known to dish out some of this soup and serve it over a baked potato. It’s so creamy, it tastes delicious!
If you love vegan soup recipes, be sure to check out this Vegan Butternut Squash Soup. It’s not only great on its own, but it makes a nice broth base to use in other recipes too.
Use these tips and tricks to make this vegan cheeseburger soup recipe perfect every time:
- To speed up the cooking time, place the chopped carrots in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 – 2 minutes, until tender. Add the carrots and any liquid in the bowl to the pot.
- Repeat this with the potatoes.
- Add some chopped (fresh or dried) dill as a garnish (I love dill)
- Sprinkle the top with some Vegan Bacon Almond Slivers
- Add a cup of frozen peas while simmering for an pop (literally) of color and taste
- Do you have any croutons? Crumble those over the top
- For an extra cheesy soup, double the vegan cheddar shreds
Is that enough for you to work with? Hopefully you get where I’m going with all of this. Vegan Cheeseburger Soup? It’s best when it’s got you written all over it.
Here’s over 70 Vegan Soups you’ll want to try today!
Vegan Cheeseburger Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots*
- 4 cups chopped potatoes*
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup cashews raw or roasted
- ½ cup plant-based milk not vanilla or sweetened, original
- ½ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package veggie crumbles
- 1 – 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese
- Heat the olive oil and the chopped onion in a large pot over medium heat. Cook until the onions are tender. Add the chopped carrots and chopped potatoes. Stir to coat, and simmer about 10 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and bay leaf and bring back to a simmer.
- In the meantime, place the cashews in a small saucepan and add a cup of water. Simmer over medium to medium low heat about 5 minutes, until cashews are tender, and most of the water is gone.. Remove from heat.
- Pour the tender cashews and remaining liquid from boiling in a food processor along with the plant-based milk, nutritional yeast flakes, and garlic powder. Pulse until completely smooth. You may need to push down contents from the side of the bowl several times.
- Use a fork to test the tenderness of the potatoes and carrots. They should be tender before moving to the next step.
- Once carrots and potatoes are tender, remove the bay leaf and add the cashew cream to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add the veggie crumbles. If these are frozen, take a minute or so to stir them throughout the pot.
- Add the vegan cheddar shreds and stir to combine.
- Serve hot. This makes a very thick soup. Feel free to add a little water if you prefer a thinner soup.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
National Soup Day
Also, did you know it’s National Soup Day? I know, how cool is that! Wait. It’s not cool. It’s hot. Super hot and good.
Anyway, I partnered with some of my favorite food blog friends to share with you a variety of soups to celebrate National Soup Day.
Some of these recipes are vegan, others are vegetarian, others are not. If you need help with veganizing any of these recipes, don’t hesitate to reach out. Here they are:
Fall Vegan Detox Soup by the Healthy Maven
Broccoli Cheese Soup by Yellow Bliss Road
Vegan Jambalaya is amazing!
Creamy Tortellini Soup by Baking with Blondie
Vegan Persimmon Butternut Squash Soup by Cotter Crunch
Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by Jessica in the Kitchen
Easy Vegan One Pot Taco Quinoa Soup by Namely Marly
Slow Cooker Chili with Pinto Beans by 365 Days of Crockpot
Easy Vegan Chili by Namely Marly
Italian Spinach and Orzo Soup by Real Mom Kitchen
Raw 5-Minute Lemon Zucchini Soup by The Blender Girl
Vegan Corn and Rice Chowder by Hummusapien
Meatball Pho by Foodie With Family
Vegan Sweet Potato Chowder by The Kitchn
Creamy Vegan Arugula Soup by Detoxinista
Vegan Minstrone by Namely Marly
Clam Chowder by The Baker Upstairs
Curried Asparagus Soup by Oh My Veggies
Vegan Beef Stew by Namely Marly
Loaded Baked Potato Soup by Ashlee Marie
Spiced Vegan Lentil Soup by Cookie + Kate
Easy Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup by your truly
Brunswick Stew by Hey Grill Hey
Cheesy Lasagna Soup by Gather for Bread
Vegan Clam Chowder by Fork and Beans
Whatever bowl of soup you’re warming up to, enjoy!