This vegan cheeseburger soup is thick and hearty with lean veggie crumbles and tender potatoes served in a warm, creamy cheese soup base. It’s pure comfort food in every bite! Serve it with this Vegan Cheesy Pull-Apart Bread or this Vegan Garlic Bread.
People have asked me, Why are you always creating vegan versions of traditional foods? The way I look at it, just because I’m vegan doesn’t mean I don’t still enjoy the foods I enjoyed growing up. This vegan cheeseburger soup is a play on a soup I once had, and it’s a real winner!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Cashews add the perfect amount of creaminess to this soup
- Cooked potatoes add creamy texture to every bite
- Vegan veggie crumbles add plant-based protein and a meaty mouthfeel to this hearty soup.
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Onion — I used a yellow onion, but you can substitute white or red onion.
- Carrots — You’ll need one or two whole carrots or several baby carrots.
- Potatoes — This recipe uses chopped potatoes, you can use red, Russet, or Yukon Gold potatoes.
- Vegetable broth — Use a high-quality vegetable broth, like Better Than Bouillon Vegetarian combined with water.
- Cashews — We’ll add a few raw cashews to the base of this soup to make it nice and creamy.
- Plant-based milk — You can use your favorite plant-based milk, just make sure it’s plain (not vanilla-flavored) and unsweetened.
- Nutritional yeast flakes — I buy nutritional yeast flakes in health food stores or online.
- Veggie crumbles — There are many crumbles to choose from these days, including Gardein Beyond Beef and many plant-based meat substitutes, like Impossible Burger and Pure Farmland.
- Vegan cheddar cheese — My favorite for this is soup is Daiya cheddar shreds.
How to Make Vegan Cheeseburger Soup
- Cook onions in an oiled pot over medium heat until tender.
- Stir in chopped carrots and potatoes and cook about 10 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and bay leaf and simmer.
- Stir together cashews and water in a small saucepan medium heat until cashews are tender.
- Add cashews, milk, nutritional yeast flakes, and garlic powder to a blender. Pulse until completely smooth.
- Stir the cashew cream mixture with the tender carrots and potatoes.
- Stir in the veggie crumbles.
- Add the vegan cheddar shreds and stir to combine.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve this soup hot.
Store soup in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. You can freeze this soup for up to 2 months.
Be sure to serve this soup with crackers or croutons. I also think it would go perfectly with a slice of this Artisan Fig and Pecan Bread. How perfect!
I’ve also been known to dish out some of this soup and serve it over a baked potato. It’s so creamy, it tastes delicious!
If you love vegan soup recipes, be sure to check out this Vegan Butternut Squash Soup. It’s not only great on its own, but it makes a nice broth base to use in other recipes too.
- To speed up the cooking time, place the chopped carrots in a microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes, until tender. Add the carrots and any liquid in the bowl to the pot.
- Repeat this with the potatoes.
- Add some chopped (fresh or dried) dill as a garnish.
- Sprinkle the top with some chopped Bacon Almonds.
- Add a cup of frozen peas while simmering for a pop of color and taste.
- For an extra cheesy soup, double the vegan cheddar shreds.
Here are some favorite suggestions for serving on top of individual soup bowls or as sides:
- Make some vegan croutons to serve over the top
- Sprinkle some chopped green onions on top
- Vegan parmesan would taste great on top of this soup
- Vegan Garlic Bread is great on the side
- Balsamic Green Beans
- Vegan Caesar Salad
- Vegan Wedge Salad
Just made this today and it went over very well with my girlfriend and roommates!
Here’s over 70 Vegan Soups you’ll want to try today!
Vegan Cheeseburger Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 small onion peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped carrots*
- 4 cups chopped potatoes*
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup cashews raw or roasted
- ½ cup plant-based milk not vanilla or sweetened, original
- ½ cup nutritional yeast flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package veggie crumbles
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese
- Heat the olive oil and the chopped onion in a large pot over medium heat. Cook until the onions are tender. Add the chopped carrots and chopped potatoes. Stir to coat, and simmer about 10 minutes. Add the vegetable broth and bay leaf and bring back to a simmer.
- In the meantime, place the cashews in a small saucepan and add a cup of water. Simmer over medium to medium-low heat about 5 minutes, until cashews are tender, and most of the water is gone. Remove from heat.
- Pour the tender cashews and remaining liquid from boiling in a food processor along with the plant-based milk, nutritional yeast flakes, and garlic powder. Pulse until completely smooth. You may need to push down contents from the side of the bowl several times.
- Use a fork to test the tenderness of the potatoes and carrots. They should be tender before moving to the next step.
- Once carrots and potatoes are tender, remove the bay leaf and add the cashew cream to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Add the veggie crumbles. If these are frozen, take a minute or so to stir them throughout the pot.
- Add the vegan cheddar shreds and stir to combine.
- Serve hot. This makes a very thick soup. Feel free to add a little water if you prefer a thinner soup.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
National Soup Day
Also, did you know it’s National Soup Day? I know, how cool is that! Wait. It’s not cool. It’s hot. Super hot and good.
Anyway, I partnered with some of my favorite food blog friends to share with you a variety of soups to celebrate National Soup Day.
Some of these recipes are vegan, others are vegetarian, others are not. If you need help with veganizing any of these recipes, don’t hesitate to reach out. Here they are:
Fall Vegan Detox Soup by the Healthy Maven
Broccoli Cheese Soup by Yellow Bliss Road
Vegan Jambalaya is amazing!
Creamy Tortellini Soup by Baking with Blondie
Vegan Persimmon Butternut Squash Soup by Cotter Crunch
Easy Vegan Lentil Soup by Jessica in the Kitchen
Easy Vegan One Pot Taco Quinoa Soup by Namely Marly
Slow Cooker Chili with Pinto Beans by 365 Days of Crockpot
Easy Vegan Chili by Namely Marly
Italian Spinach and Orzo Soup by Real Mom Kitchen
Raw 5-Minute Lemon Zucchini Soup by The Blender Girl
Vegan Corn and Rice Chowder by Hummusapien
Meatball Pho by Foodie With Family
Vegan Sweet Potato Chowder by The Kitchn
Creamy Vegan Arugula Soup by Detoxinista
Vegan Minestrone by Namely Marly
Clam Chowder by The Baker Upstairs
Curried Asparagus Soup by Oh My Veggies
Vegan Beef Stew by Namely Marly
Loaded Baked Potato Soup by Ashlee Marie
Spiced Vegan Lentil Soup by Cookie + Kate
Easy Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup by your truly
Cheesy Lasagna Soup by Gather for Bread
Vegan Clam Chowder by Fork and Beans
This post was originally published in 2017 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2021.