This Vegan Chicken and Rice Casserole contains everything about comfort food that we all love, including a cheesy topping. With only a few ingredients and less than 30 minutes to prepare, you can plan to make this recipe on repeat! Other Vegan Comfort Food recipes you can make in less than 30 minutes includes our One Pot Macaroni and Cheese recipe and our Two Vegan Pizzas For Under $15 recipe.
It seems like every family dinner involves some kind of broccoli casserole dish, topped with lots and lots of cheese.
It’s one of those dishes I used to camp out next to, eating spoonful after spoonful. Don’t worry, I always wipe the spoon off on my sleeve before plunging it in for another bite. 🙂
Can you tell I’m a joy at family gatherings?!
Of course, now I’m vegan so I don’t eat Chicken and Cheese Casserole any more.
Or do I????
Why You’ll Love Vegan Chicken and Rice Casserole
If you like creamy, cheesy, delicious casseroles, this recipe might just be your jam.
For me, it’s all about the the combination of the mushrooms, the creamy sauce, the vegan chicken, and vegan cheese. It tastes like a comfort food party in every bite.
As I’ve said before, the benefit of using vegan meats is that they’re mostly pre-cooked, so you can skip that step. Once you create the sauce and add the mushrooms, you’re half-way there to a finished dish.
Also, there’s a lot of health benefits to a dish like this one, including the brown rice which adds fiber, manganese, selenium, and more. And the mushrooms add immune system support, cardiovascular disease protection, and even hormone regulation.
And you can’t disregard the cholesterol-lowering benefits of broccoli, which is a cruciferous vegetable with a whole host of health benefits. According to Dr. Joel Fuhrman, cruciferous vegetables offer incredible cancer protection. I’m all for that, I don’t know about you!
Getting your greens in is important too, so that’s why we prepare a side salad with most of our meals. We love to include dark green leafy greens, steamed broccoli, cherry tomatoes, and more in our side salads. You can see that salad in our pictures with this Vegan Chicken and Rice Casserole.
Also, I used a gluten-free vegan chicken product and I used an all-purpose gluten-free flour for the sauce. That makes this a gluten-free casserole. How fun is that! of course, if you like a little gluten in your life, you can find vegan chicken products that are not gluten-free and use regular, ol’ flour. Whatever floats your boat!
So that means this recipe is:
I have other words I could add to that list, but I like the rhyming pattern going on there. Let’s just go with that.
We hope you love this Vegan Chicken and Rice Casserole as much as we do! If you decide to make it, snap a photo and share it using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your recipes!
Vegan Cheesy Chicken and Brown Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion chopped
- 10 oz package Gardein Chick’n Scallopini chopped
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups small broccoli florets
- 3 tablespoons all purpose gluten-free flour*
- 1 cup plant-based milk plain, not vanilla
- 1 cup cooked brown rice**
- 2/3 cup vegan sour cream
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup vegan cheddar cheese shreds
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a 9" square baking pan with vegetable cooking spray.
- Pour olive oil in a large pot with the chopped onions and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Add vegan chick’n, mushrooms and broccoli to the skillet. Cook until the mushrooms are tender.
- Sprinkle the flour over mushroom mixture and stir to incorporate. Cook for about 2 minutes. Gradually add the plant-based milk. Cook and stir for about two minutes until a sauce forms.
- Stir in the cooked brown rice, vegan sour cream, vegan mayo, nutritional yeast flakes, and thyme. Stir to combine.
- Transfer this to a baking dish and sprinkle with the vegan cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until the cheese melts.
- Serve warm.
Check out these other Vegan Cheesy Rice Casseroles:
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Casserole by Connoserious Veg
- Cheesy Broccoli Cheese Casserole with Chickpeas by Go Veggies
- Pumpkin Seed Pesto Rice Casserole by Keepin’ It Kind
- Vegan Tofu and Cheesy Rice Casserole by yours truly!
Whatever Vegan Cheesy Rice Casserole is on your plate, enjoy!