This vegan puppy chow recipe, also known as muddy buddies, combines your favorite flavors of peanut butter and chocolate over crispy, crunchy cereal pieces. It’s a perfect sweet treat for after-school snacks, parties, and more!
I love making a surprise treat that everyone loves. This Vegan Puppy Chow is definitely in that category. Combining a sauce of peanut butter and melted and pouring it over crunchy cereal makes the best treat that everyone loves. With only 5 ingredients, it’s pretty easy to make, too.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Vegan butter added with the chocolate sauce gives it a smooth consistency, infusing the cereal pieces.
- Spreading chocolate cereal pieces on a baking sheet makes it easier to sprinkle with powdered sugar, creating the right mixture of individual pieces and clumps.
- Refrigerating the pieces helps to set the chocolate quickly, so you’ll be ready to serve it in no time.
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Chex cereal — Use a store-brand or any version of rice chex cereal
- Dairy-free chocolate chips
- Peanut butter — Use either creamy or crunchy
- Vegan butter — Any dairy-free butter or margarine will work. You can even make homemade vegan butter or you can substitute coconut oil.
- Powdered sugar — Some recipes call for much more powdered sugar. This recipe calls for just enough, but not too much.
How to Make Vegan Puppy Chow
- Pour the measured cereal into a large bowl.
- Make the chocolate sauce by melting chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter together and stirring until smooth.
- Spread the chocolate sauce over the cereal and stir it gently until the cereal is evenly covered.
- Spread the chocolate-coated cereal on a baking sheet lined with parchment or waxed paper.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar over the cereal and gently stir to coat it equally.
- Put the pan in the fridge to make the chocolate setting process happen faster.
- To serve, add it to a serving bowl.
To serve this dairy-free puppy chow, add any of the following to the bowl:
- Roasted peanuts
- Dairy-free candies (there are vegan M&M type candies)
Can you Freeze Puppy Chow?
Freezing puppy chow is a great way to have this sweet treat on-hand. Be sure to let the chocolate set first and then transfer it to freezer-safe containers or bags where it can be kept in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Does Chex Have Dairy?
Chex cereal does not have dairy listed as an ingredient, making it a great choice for those avoiding dairy and vegans.
Store this in an airtight container or large ziplock bag. It will keep for 4 or 5 days at room temperature or 10 days in the fridge. You can also freeze it for up to 2 months.
More Vegan Chocolate Sweets
That’s it for this vegan Chex mix puppy chow. Enjoy!
Vegan Puppy Chow
- Measure cereal and pour it into a large mixing bowl.
- Place the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a pyrex measuring cup (microwave-safe bowl). Microwave for 1 minute, let it sit for 1 minute, then stir. If it's not melted, repeat in 30-second increments.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the cereal. Gently stir until the cereal is evenly covered with the chocolate.
- Transfer the chocolate-coated cereal to a large baking sheet lined with waxed paper. Sift some of the powdered sugar over it and then gently stir it some more. Repeat until all the powdered sugar is gone.
- Refrigerate the pan to speed up the chocolate setting process.
- To serve, arrange the puppy chow to a serving bowl.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.