When I decided to do Vegan Pie Week, I knew there had to be a lemon pie involved. What kind of lemon pie, I did not know. But Shawn is a big fan of lemon desserts. That’s why you’ll find recipes like Lemon Bars and Blueberry Lemon Pie Bars. I like making my man happy. So today’s recipe, Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie, is Shawn approved. That means it’s pretty darn good!
It’s good to have variety on your holiday dessert table. Everyone loves chocolate and pecan pie. Those are kind of required at our family dinners.
But we love including our Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie too. It adds a nice touch of zest to dessert.
It’s not an extensive list of ingredients to make a vegan lemon meringue pie, which is another reason we love serving it.
I make the pie crusts the day before. Then the morning of the dinner I make the custard and the meringue and bake the pie early to allow it time to cool while I’m fixing everything else.
The timing of preparing food for a big family dinner is essential!
I used some of the same ingredients for the lemon custard in this pie that I used in my Vegan Lemon Bars (see link above). The thing is, you want a nice, firm custard when you slice the pie. So to help that I also used agar agar flakes. That’s basically a vegan version of gelatin. You can usually find agar agar at your local health food store or even online.
We hope you give this recipe a try. If you do, be sure to share a photo using #veganpieweek and #namelymarly on Instagram or Twitter. We love seeing your photos!
Vegan Lemon Meringue Pie
- 1 foolproof vegan pie crust
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1½ cups water
- 2 lemons juiced and zested
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- Optional: 1 tablespoon Agar Agar*
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter
- 1 cup extra firm silken tofu or one small package
- 1 recipe Vegan Meringue
- Heat your oven to 350F.
- Prepare the pie crust as directed in the link above and roll it out to about 1/8″ thickness and place in a 9″ pie pan. Crimp the edges of the pie and use a fork to prick the bottom of the crust several times. Bake the crust 10-12 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- In a saucepan combine the sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Stir with a whisk to combine.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and add the water, lemon juice, lemon zest, lemon extract, and agar agar (if using). Stir occasionally, to make sure the custard doesn’t burn. Bring this to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and simmer for 3-5 minutes, until you have a thick mixture in the pan. Remove from heat and add the tablespoon of vegan butter. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place the tofu in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Add the lemon mixture from the saucepan and pulse it all together until a smooth consistency is reached.
- Prepare the meringue according to the link above.
- Spoon the lemon custard into your prepared pie crust. Top with meringue, ensuring that you create a seal with the crust and create wispy dollops of meringue across the top of the pie (these wispy parts will brown more quickly and create a beautiful, artistic look to your meringue).
- Place in your heated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes until the meringue just begins to brown. Turn your heat to 375 and cook for another 5-10 minutes until the meringue has golden edges.
- Remove from the oven and cool for about an hour. Refrigerate for one to two hours before serving.