Easy Vegan Strawberry Shortcake recipe from scratch creates a delicious crisp homemade shortcake biscuit! This dairy free strawberry shortcakes start with a delicious, biscuit called a shortcake. This vegan shortcake recipe is made without eggs or dairy, and is topped with strawberries and coconut whipped cream. Old fashioned strawberry shortcake is a classic dessert recipe loved by generations and for good reason! See my tips for making vegan gluten free strawberry shortcakes.
We’re going a little old school today with this easy Vegan Strawberry Shortcake recipe. You know I have a thing for vegan strawberry dessert recipes!
Do you know what I say about strawberries? Bring ’em on!
Homemade Strawberry Shortcake
When I was a kid strawberry shortcake meant spongy, twinkie-like cakes bought in a package at the store. I never even knew that people made homemade shortcakes until I was in my early twenties.
I’m not always great at trying new things, so it was a bit of a stretch for me, putting strawberries on a biscuit from scratch.
But then I tried a bite or two and you know what? I really liked it! How could you not like a crispy biscuit covered in sweet strawberries and whipped topping.
I was converted to the old-fashioned strawberry shortcake biscuit. Of course, my next question was…could I make strawberry shortcake vegan?
How do you make strawberry sauce?
These are the steps I use to make strawberries for strawberry shortcake:
- Select the most colorful berries (because they’re more flavorful)
- Put selected strawberries in a colander and rinse them
- Hull the berries to remove the stem with a paring knife
- Slice the strawberries horizontally
- Add sweetener (such as agave, sugar, or even a zero-calorie sweetener)
- Stir and gently mash some of the strawberries (leaving some intact)
That’s it! Having fresh strawberries around this time of year is perfect!
Use these tips and tricks to make this dairy free shortcake recipe perfect every time:
- I’m including some Coconut Whipped Topping because I’m just in love with that stuff and it goes perfectly on top of these strawberries.
- That said, you can buy vegan whipped topping these days. If that works better for you, I highly recommend it!
- I used vegan butter (dairy-free Earth Balance works great), but you can substitute coconut oil here, just be sure to use the kind that is firm at room temperature.
- This recipe uses all-purpose flour, but you can use whole wheat pastry flour to make healthy shortcake biscuits
- To make a vegan gluten free strawberry shortcake cake, substitute gluten free baking flour for the all purpose flour
- You can use vanilla-flavored plant-based milk, but plain milk works too
- White vinegar will do if you don’t have apple cider vinegar
How to Make Vegan Strawberry Shortcake Biscuits
It’s so easy to make the biscuits for strawberry shortcakes. All you’ll need is a food processor. A blender will work here too. The ingredients for these biscuits are:
- baking powder
- vegan butter
- vanilla plant-based milk
- apple cider vinegar
Begin by combining flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in a food processor. Pulse to combine. Then add the sliced vegan butter.
Pulse until a crumbly mixture forms.
Next, combine plant-based milk and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl or measuring cup.
Pour the milk mixture over the crumbly, butter mixture in the food processor and pulse a few times until combined. The dough will be stick.
Use a large spoon to drop it by rounded spoonful onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. I like using the drop biscuit method because it creates lots of peaks that can get browned and crispy while baking.
Alternatively, you can roll the dough out and cut it into rounds.
Place the pan in the oven and bake them for 15 – 20 minutes, until the edges are golden brown.
Do you eat your Vegan Strawberry Shortcake with a spoon or a fork?
Obviously, we chose to eat it with a fork, but it works both ways…especially when you get to the bottom of the bowl.
We hope you love this Vegan Strawberry Shortcake recipe as much as we do. If you decide to make them, take a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Vegan Strawberry Shortcake
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup dairy-free margarine chopped
- 1¼ cup vanilla flavored plant based milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- Heat your oven to 400F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a food processor pulse together the flour, baking powder, 3 tablespoons of sugar and salt. Add the chopped margarine and pulse until course crumbs form.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup combine the plant-based milk and apple cider vinegar. Give it a stir to combine and then pour it over the flour mixture. Pulse until a just combined and a sticky dough is formed.
- Drop the dough by rounded spoonfuls onto your prepared baking sheet, trying to keep the biscuits roughly the same size.
- Bake for 15 – 20 minutes until golden brown.
- In the meantime, wash and core your strawberries. Slice the strawberries into a bowl and add the coconut sugar. Use a fork to mash the strawberries a little to help release their juices. Set aside while you’re waiting for the biscuits to bake.
- Once the biscuits are done, remove from the oven and set aside to cool slightly.
- To serve: slice the biscuits in half and top with sliced strawberries (and their juices) and Coconut Whipped Topping.
Vegan Strawberry Recipes
If you love vegan strawberry recipes, be sure and check out these delicious ones!
Finally, here’s my recipe for the Best Strawberry Cake Ever by Yours Truly! Everyone loves a vegetarian strawberry cake! In fact, it’s a favorite I love making it for birthdays.
This vegan Strawberry Banana Bread is the perfect combination of banana and strawberries in one loaf!
There’s also my 40+ Vegan Strawberry Recipes you’ll want to check out!
Whatever strawberry dish your devouring…enjoy!