I like sweets. There’s no doubt about it. But lately I’ve been looking for sweets that have a little healthier twist to them. Like this Vegan Date Caramel sauce. You can call it a sauce, or you can simply call it caramel. It works either way. I’ll explain more later. For now, just now it’s totally plant-based, and oh-s0-delicious. If you’re into plant-based recipes, check out my Vegan Almost Raw Peanut Butter Cups or my Cashew Cream Stuffed Strawberries.
I’ve been craving more natural sweets lately. It’s not that I don’t enjoy a good slice of vegan cake. I do. Do you want proof? How about this Vegan Vanilla Wacky Cake I published just last week. I’ve been making this cake on repeat since July! 🙂
But I’m just thinking on a day-to-day basis, it’s good to find something that satisfies that sweet tooth in a seriously healthy way. I mean, my thought is, if I’m going to spend the calories, why not make them count!
Then, save the cake for special occasions. You know, like Thursday nights, when Shawn has his tennis league and I’m watching an episode of Jane the Virgin all to myself!
Think about this…Vegan Vanilla Cake WITH Date Caramel Sauce? OMG!
Hey, we love this recipe so much we even made a video!
Why You’ll Love Vegan Date Caramel Sauce
First, this recipe is just so easy. You just need to heat up those dates a little bit to make them nice and tender, but other than that, all you need is a food processor to make this recipe work.
I like easy recipes. That way I can make a batch on a Tuesday night…just because.
Also, this recipe is versatile. You can make it thicker and it’s almost like fudge. I like a nice, thick caramel sauce as you can see from the photos. You can add more water to make a thinner sauce. That can be nice served over ice cream, or even as the topping for a slice of cake (see note above)!
You can change up the flavors in this Vegan Date Caramel Sauce by using the following adaptions:
- I love adding a tablespoon (or two) of peanut butter (see the recipe)
- You could also add almond butter
- Make it chocolatey by adding some chopped chocolate chips
- I have been known to sprinkle crumbled corn flakes over the top – adding some crunchy, ice-cream-cone-like texture. It’s so good!
We hope you love this Vegan Date Caramel Sauce as much as we do! You can follow me on Instagram and if you decide to make this recipe, snap a photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram or Snapchat (I’m @namelymarly). We love seeing your photos!
- 1 cup Medjool dates, pitted
- ½ cup water + additional
- 1 - 2 tablespoons peanut butter (optional)
- Place pitted dates and water in a small pot and bring to a simmer. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes. Turn the heat off and set aside.
- Dates should be soft at this point. Place them in a food processor with the water, add 1 tablespoon of peanut butter (optional) and pulse until smooth. Add more water, 1 tablespoon at a time until a desired consistency is reached.
- Take a taste. If you'd like more peanut butter flavor, add another tablespoon here and pulse to combine.
- Place in a lidded container and refrigerate for up to 1 week.
- Serve over vegan ice cream, oatmeal, bananas, you name it!
If you’re into vegan chicken sandwiches, then you’ll love these:
- Salty Chocolate Date Caramels by Heartbeet Kitchen
- Salted Raw Caramel Dip by Detoxinista
- Five-Minute Vegan Caramel by Blissful Basil
- Also, check out the Vegan Pumpkin Cheesecake with Caramel Sauce published right here!
Whatever vegan caramel sauce you’re drooling over, enjoy!