Vegan Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake with Caramel Sauce
This is Vegan Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake with Caramel Sauce. It’s a sweet, delicious vegan cake that causes you to grab a fork and a plate on a Thursday night or even to share with friends at a special weekend gathering.
If you’re into vegan cake—and who isn’t—you’ll want to check out this Vegan Coconut Cake, this Vanilla Wacky Cake, or how about this Vegan Spiced Chocolate Chai Cake.
I’m a big fan of the comedian Eddie Izzard. Have you heard of him? I like most of his stuff, but Eddie shares a routine on history that I like to refer to as cake or death? Hilarious. Be prepared to deal with a little language, but if you can handle that, you must check it out.
After watching this, I can’t look at cake the same way. It’s as if I can hear Eddie saying in his English accent, “Cake or Death!”
I’ll take cake, please!
The inspiration to make this Vegan Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake came from Cheryl Sousan at Tidy Mom. She shared her recipe and it made me wonder, as most recipes do, if I could create a vegan version.
I did. So, thanks to Cheryl for the inspiration!
The Best Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake
Believe it or not, this vegan cake is made using a cake mix. You’re either surprised because you didn’t know cake mixes were vegan…or you’re surprised that I would use a cake mix.
Hey, look, I grew up using cake mixes. Sure, we cook from scratch sometimes. I have my Easy Vegan Chocolate Wacky Cake to show for it! But the thing is, busy people don’t always have the time to make cakes from scratch. And sometimes even when you have the time, you don’t always have the energy.
I think it’s something we women really have to learn – that we don’t have to do everything ourselves. Getting a little help from a cake mix? I’ll take that any day.
Also, this recipe features a delicious vegan caramel sauce. Feel free to serve this on your cake, over ice cream, on your morning oatmeal, and more. It’s pretty amazing stuff!
Adapting the Recipe to Your Preferences
I love to think of ways to play around with a recipe. Don’t you? Here are some fun ways to change this Vegan Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake up a little:
- Sprinkle chopped nuts over the top – like chopped pecans or walnuts
- Add a tablespoon (or two) of peanut butter to that caramel sauce
- Follow this same recipe using a chocolate cake mix
- Or, add a scoop of vegan chocolate ice cream over the spice cake
So many options, so little time!
I use Silk’s dairy-free products, including their line of creamers, because they’re easy to find (I buy them at my local grocery store), and they add a rich, creamy flavor to my vegan recipes.
The Silk Vanilla Creamer has no cholesterol and is also free of dairy, lactose, gluten, casein, egg, peanut, and MSG. It doesn’t have any artificial colors or flavorings. And it’s certified by the Non-GMO product verification process.
Vegan Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake with Vegan Caramel Sauce
- 1 box spice cake mix
- 1 (12 oz) can cream soda
- 1 batch Vegan Sweetened Condensed Milk
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup Silk Vanilla Soy Creamer
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- Vegan vanilla ice cream for topping
- Heat your oven to 350°F. Coat a 9×13 pan with vegetable spray.
- Combine the cake mix and soda in a mixing bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat, one minute on low followed by another minute on medium-high.
- Pour cake batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 minutes or until done. A toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake should come out clean. If not, cook a few more minutes.
- While the cake is baking, pour the brown sugar, Silk Vanilla Soy Creamer, and vegan butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Give it a stir and bring the mixture to a boil. Stir and reduce heat to medium-low heat, maintaining a simmer. Continue stirring every 30 seconds or so, cooking for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, then allow to cool. Set aside.
- When done, remove the cake from the oven. Cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Use a straw or a wooden skewer to poke holes across the cake, about 1-inch apart.
- Pour vegan sweetened condensed milk over the cake, covering and filling holes.
- Cover cake with lid (or if you don't have a lid use foil). Chill for at least 2 hours (overnight works too).
- For serving, top each slice of cake with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream and drizzle with vegan caramel syrup.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Whatever caramel goodness you’re drooling over, enjoy!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Silk. The opinions and text are all mine.
3 Responses to Vegan Cinnamon Roll Poke Cake with Caramel Sauce
Would it work to use a bundt pan in this recipe instead of the 9×13 pan?
Hi Pauline. I have never tried using a bundt pan with this particular recipe, but I would definitely give it a try. You might want to try the cake mix from my Vegan Vanilla Wacky Cake recipe instead. It would hold up much better to the bundt cake mold. Just add the cinnamon and the vegan caramel sauce.
Sounds and looks yummy. I did find your recipe for the sweetened condensed milk but thought you might want to link to it. (Unless it’s already linked but I missed it.)