Enjoy this savory Vegan French Dip Sandwich, made in 30 minutes with minimal ingredients and ready to tempt your taste buds with each bite! We love a good plant-based sandwich. I include this one in my easy vegan recipes repertoire, and you should too!
If you like really good, savory, rich sandwiches, you’re going to love this Vegan French Dip Sandwich. I know we did. In fact, I have a certain hankering for vegan sandwiches. Here are a couple of my favorites — Vegan Chicken Sandwich with Avocado and Avocado and Jalapeño Grilled Cheese Vegan Sandwich. So many amazing vegan sandwiches…so little time!
Truth be told, I saw a bunch of recipes for French Dip Sandwiches and I felt a little jealous. Like, how come vegans can’t have a little French Dip fun?
I will mire in my own self pity for a bit, it’s true. You can ask Shawn and he will confirm it. But then, the self pity gets old and that’s when I have to have a plan. A plan of action.
I like having a plan!
So I started mulling over a recipe for a Vegan French Dip Sandwich. And guess what? It’s a real winner!
Why You’ll love this Vegan French Dip Sandwich
First of all, this recipe is super easy. It doesn’t require hours in a crockpot. No way. But it does require at least one ingredient that I couldn’t find locally. In fact, I ordered it from Amazon, and since I’m a Prime member, it arrived within a day or two. Sweet!
So once you get your hands on the ingredients, you’ll just need 30 minutes in the kitchen and then you’ll be wrapping your hands around this delicious sandwich.
This sandwich is savory and meaty. I can say that, right? On a vegan blog?
Hmm. Let me check the vegan blog manual.
Let’s see. The definition of the word “meaty” is “of, relating to, or resembling meat; rich; full of substance; satisfying”.
OK. With that in mind, I think I’m good to go with calling this a meaty sandwich…although there is no meat involved. At least not the kind that comes from an animal. Yep. This Vegan French Dip Sandwich is vegan.
Are you surprised? I know! Me too!
Mixing Things Up
Even though this sandwich is pretty scrumptious-galumptious as is, I could see these adaptations:
- Add some sliced mushrooms while you’re cooking the beefless tips. Shawn hates them, otherwise, I would have them in this sandwich for sure!
- In fact, if you wanted to create a gluten-free version of this sandwich, just replace the beefless tips with mushrooms. It would be perfect!
- Adding some caramelized onions on top would be pretty fantabulous. Because caramelized onions make just about everything taste better!
OMG. Look at that Vegan French Dip Sandwich. Don’t you want a bite?
I hope you love this Vegan French Dip Sandwich as much as we did. If you decide to make it at home, take a photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
Vegan French Dip Sandwich Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 2 packages Vegan Beefless Tips thawed*
- 1 tablespoon Bragg Liquid Aminos or soy sauce
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup dry minced onions
- 1 tablespoon No Beef Better than Bouillon**
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaf
- 6 French rolls or hoagie buns
- 12 slices vegan cheese***
- Fresh Parsley for garnish
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Place the vegan beefless tips in the skillet and brown on all sides, a few minutes per side.
- In a bowl combine 1 tablespoon olive oil, Bragg, water, flour, onions, No Beef Bouillon, and dried thyme. Stir to combine. Pour this over the cooked beefless tips. Top with a bay leaves.
- Place the lid on the skillet and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or so. Use a spatula to divide the beefless pieces into smaller pieces. You can do this directly in the skillet or you can transfer them to a cutting board.
- When ready to serve, heat your oven to 350F and line a baking pan with parchment paper.
- Remove the beefless tips and transfer the sauce to a bowl for dipping.
- Split the hoagie buns and and place the bottoms on your prepared pan. Top each bottom with vegan beef followed by 2 slices of vegan cheese. Bake at for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Place tops side of bun on each sandwich. Serve with reserved au jus.
Would you like to see other Vegan French Dip-type recipes? Check these out:
- Here’s a twist, a Portobello French Dip Sandwich by the Local Vegan
- Try this Vegan French Dip Sandwiches by Connoisseurus Veg
- Vegan French Dip with Onion Au Jus by Field Roast
- May I suggest this Vegan Philly Cheezsteak Sandwich by me, myself, and me!
Whatever sandwich your delighting in, enjoy!