Easy Vegan Black Eyed Pea Dip Recipe makes a melt-in-your mouth cheesy dip to serve with chips or crackers. The best black eyed pea dip recipes are legendary for being both delicious and lucky! It’s a tradition that started a long, long time ago — eating black-eyed peas on new years. This vegan black-eyed pea dip is made dairy-free and full of flavor!
Why You’ll Love Easy Vegan Black-Eyed Pea Dip
This black-eyed pea dip recipe is pretty easy to make. Confucius once said All good things are difficult. But, between you and me, I’m pretty sure he didn’t have this dip.
How to Make Black-Eyed Pea Dip
Make this creamy southwest black-eyed pea dip by combining a few ingredients in a small casserole dish, cover with vegan cheese and then bake for 20 – 25 minutes.
The list of black eyed pea dip ingredients include:
- 15 ounce can of black-eyed peas
- chopped onion
- vegan sour cream
- vegan cheddar shreds
Drain the black-eyed peas and then add them to your casserole dish. Use a fork to gently mash some of the peas. Then stir in the onions, sour cream and salsa. Top with vegan cheese and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until the cheese is melted. Mmm. Everyone loves this cheesy black eyed pea dip!
Are Black-eyed Peas Healthy?
There’s something else about this black-eyed pea dip to make note of. Black-eyed peas are good for you. That’s no surprise because most plants are.
Black-eyed peas are full of fiber. In fact, a one-cup serving will give you 8 grams of fiber. You’re also going to find healthy doses of Vitamins K, B, and A, Potassium, Zinc and more. That’s the thing about plants, they contain lots of the good stuff we need.
It’s the time of year when dips are in fashion. Oh, who am I kidding, we like a good dip about any time of the year.
I guess because it includes salsa, some people refer to this as a Texas black eyed pea dip. Whatever it’s called, hand me a chip!
Use these expert tips and tricks to make this black-eyed pea cheese dip perfect every time:
- Use a fork to mash some of the beans to create a thicker final texture
- I used white onion in this vegan dip recipe, but you can use green or red onion
- Add a small can of cooked chopped green chili peppers for a different flavor profile
- Use a plain vegan yogurt instead of the sour cream for a low fat dip recipe
- Remove the seeds and chop up a jalapeño and add that to this recipe for some kick
- We love serving this with tortilla chips, but you could serve it with warm vegan naan bread
- Sprinkle red chili pepper flakes over the top for a spicy, colorful spin. A spicy black eyed pea dip is amazing!
- Add some chopped red bell peppers for more color and taste.
You got this! Enjoy this cowboy black eyed pea dip and change it up however you’d like. Be sure to serve this easy vegan black-eyed pea dip with tortilla chips, but you can also have crackers nearby as well. I could even see it served on crostini.
If you love vegan dips, be sure to try this Black Bean Dip!
Black-Eyed Peas Bring Good Luck
Did you know eating black-eyed peas on New Year’s Day is supposed to bring you good luck? I don’t really give a lot of credence to things like this, but then again, why not cover your bases. Right?
We can all use a little bit of luck here and there…especially in the form of a delicious dip!
We hope you love this recipe for Easy Vegan Black-Eyed Pea Dip as much as we do. If you decide to make it, snap a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram or SnapChat (I’m @NamelyMarly). We LOVE seeing your photos!
Vegan Black-Eyed Pea Dip
- 15 oz can blackeye peas
- 2 – 3 tablespoons onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream
- ½ salsa mild or medium
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- Heat your oven to 350F.
- Place the blackeye peas in a casserole dish and use a fork to mash up most of it (not all).
- Add the minced onions, vegan sour cream, and salsa. Add half the vegan cheddar shreds. Stir to combine.
- Top with remaining vegan cheddar shreds.
- Bake for 20 – 25 minutes, until the cheese melts.
If you’re into vegetarian or vegan dip recipes, check these recipes out:
- Easy Vegan Vegetable Dip by Around My Family Table
- Creamy Vegan Queso Dip by the Kitchn
- Or how about this Easy Vegan Taco Dip by yours truly!
Whatever vegan dip you’re delighting in, enjoy!