Make the best ever vegan taquitos for your next easy weeknight meal. Also referred to as rolled tacos, taquitos delivers a crispy shell on the outside combined with creamy ingredients on the inside. Serve them with a creamy avocado dipping sauce for the perfect meal!
Do you look at this recipe and think “easy peasy”? Me neither, but come to find out, we should be thinking that. Because although it looks like a complicated dinner, these ten ingredients come together so naturally (aka, quickly). And the next thing you know, you’re sitting at the table enjoying a delicious dinner with your family.
Oh, who am I kidding. You’re sitting on the couch watching The Simpsons while eating a delicious dinner with your family.
I may be speaking from personal experience on that one. Don’t judge!
What is a taquito?
A traditional taquito is a small flour tortilla stuffed with filling and then deep-fried. However, you can make a taquito healthier by making it vegetarian or vegan and baking rather than frying them.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Dairy-free cream cheese is a tested ingredient that makes these crispy taquitos so good
- Using vegan chicken adds flavor and plant-based protein
- Baking taquitos (not frying), makes a crispy crust while keeping this a healthy recipe too.
If you like cheesy, creamy goodness surrounded by a crispy tortilla dipped in avocado creaminess, you’re going to love this vegan taquito recipe.
What’s a taquito, exactly? It’s what happens when a taco meets a burrito and falls in love.
What You Need
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Vegan cream cheese — You can use storebought or make your own dairy-free cream cheese.
- Onion — Use a white, yellow, or even a red onion
- Green salsa — You can substitute a standard red salsa.
- Fresh cilantro — You can substitute fresh parsley for those who don’t like cilantro.
- Lime juice — Use either freshly squeezed or bottled lime juice.
- Taco seasoning
- Vegan Chicken — You can buy something like Beyond Meat Grilled Chicken Strips or Gardein Chicken Strips, or you can make your own vegan chicken.
- Vegan Cheese — Use your favorite vegan cheddar or Mexican blend shreds, such as those made by Daiya or Follow Your Heart.
- Flour tortillas — You’ll need 10 flour tortillas. You can use regular or gluten-free tortillas.
- Avocado — One avocado will do the trick, or you can substitute vegan guacamole.
How to Make Vegan Taquitos
- Make the creamy filling by combining heated vegan cream cheese with salsa ingredients, like onions, lime juice, taco seasoning, and more.
- Cut vegan chicken strips into thin slices and add it to the creamy filling.
- Warm tortillas until they’re soft and pliable.
- Add a bit of the filling to a warmed tortilla, spreading it out in a line across the tortilla. Top with a little bit of vegan cheese.
- Roll the tortilla tightly, placing it seam-side down in a prepared pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas
- Bake the pan of taquitos for 15 to 20 minutes, until the tortillas are crisp and browned on the edges.
- Make the avocado dipping sauce by adding cubed avocado to a small bowl with some reserved creamy filling. Stir it and add more lime juice if it’s too thick.
- Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes and then serve warm with the dipping sauce.
Some vegan chicken products are not as firm straight from the freezer. If your thawed chicken strips feel very soft, they should be cooked in a skillet over medium heat for a few minutes. Then allow them to cool and cut them into strips.
Store taquitos in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. They can be frozen for up to 2 months. Transfer them in the fridge overnight to thaw. Then reheat in the oven or toaster oven until heated through and the crust is crispy.
Plant-Based Protein Options
You can mix up the protein options in your vegan taquitos. Use these as additional layers or substitute them for the vegan chicken. Here are some of my favorites:
- Sofritas is tofu-based and adds lots of delicious flavor
- Vegan Taco Meat is infused with seasonings
- Black Bean Dip could be used as part of the filling or served alongside taquitos
- Chickpeas make a good substitute for vegan chicken.
Use these tips to make these vegan taquitos perfect every single time:
- Are taquitos gluten-free? Not if you use traditional flour tortillas. However, you can use gluten-free tortillas (corn or gluten-free flour tortillas) to make gluten-free taquitos.
- If you’re looking for more taquito sauce recipes, you can dip taquitos in salsa or this vegan queso dip.
- Add about 1/2 cup of canned black beans to make black bean taquitos.
- Add steamed vegetables to make a vegetable taquitos recipe.
- Be sure to serve this with Hibiscus Margaritas.
- Add extra vegan cheese for even more cheesy taquitos.
Vegan Mexican Recipes
That’s it for this vegan taquitos recipe. Enjoy!
- ½ cup dairy-free cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons white onion chopped
- ⅓ cup green salsa
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 2 cups vegan chicken
- 1 cup vegan cheddar or mexican blend shredded cheese
- 10 small flour tortillas regular or gluten-free
- 1 avocado peeled and chopped
- Heat your oven to 400°F/200°C. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the vegan cream cheese. Place it in a microwave and heat it for about 10 seconds, to soften it up. Next, add the onion, salsa, cilantro, lime juice, and taco seasoning. Stir to combine, reserving two tablespoons of this mixture into a bowl.
- On a cutting board, cut the chicken strips into long, thin slices. Add this and the cheese to the creamy filling mixture in the medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine.
- Place the tortillas in a microwave and warm them up for about 10 seconds or so. This makes them soft and pliable.
- Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling mixture slightly off-center on one of the warmed tortillas. Spread it out in a line across the tortilla, then sprinkle with cheese shreds. Roll the tortilla tightly and place it seam-side down in the prepared pan. Repeat until you run out of the vegan chicken mixture.
- Place the pan of taquitos in the oven and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the tortillas are crisp and browned on the edges.
- In the meantime, make your avocado dipping sauce by adding the cubed avocado to the small bowl with the reserved cream/cilantro filling. Stir together to combine. You can add more lime juice if it's too thick.
- When the taquitos are done, remove them from the oven. Allow to cool for a few minutes, and then serve warm with the Avocado Dipping Sauce.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2018 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2021.