Make the best ever Vegan Taquitos for your next easy vegan meal! Taquitos, also referred to as rolled tacos, delivers a crispy shell on the outside combined with creamy ingredients on the inside and is served with an avocado dipping sauce. Vegan Chicken Taquitos are super easy to make and will have your family begging for more!
Do you look at this recipe and think “easy peasy”? Me neither, but come to find out, we should be thinking that. Because although it looks like a complicated dinner, these ten ingredients come together so naturally (aka, quickly). And the next thing you know, you’re sitting at the table enjoying a delicious dinner with your family.
Oh, who am I kidding. You’re sitting on the couch watching The Simpsons while eating a delicious dinner with your family.
I may be speaking from personal experience on that one. Don’t judge!
Veganism is Going Mainstream!
Did you see Gene Baur of the Farm Sanctuary on The Daily Show? Gene and Jon shot the breeze about, oh, I dunno, some topic near and dear to my heart…veganism! I couldn’t believe it! If you missed it, here are a couple of my favorite quotes from that episode:
People recognize that the way we’re eating in this country is problematic. People are suffering from heart disease and cancer and people are recognizing that climate change is a major issue we need to look at. We can make one choice to eat plant foods instead of animal foods and it will have an impact. This is something everybody can do. There’s a lot of things in this world that we don’t have a lot of control over, but we decide what to eat — every day there’s a choice to make. — Gene Baur, Farm Sanctuary
But then Jon Stewart said something else that was pretty amazing.
Eating mindfully and vegan seems to be the solution to nutrition, to health, to global warming. — Jon Stewart, The Daily Show
Of course, Stewart also points to the need for more convenience in vegan cooking before it can go mainstream. That’s happening because vegan meats and cheeses are becoming more and more readily available…and good!
Case in point? These Vegan Taquitos are made with Beyond Meat’s Beyond Chicken Grilled Strips.
What is a Taquito?
A traditional taquito is a small flour tortilla stuffed with filling and then deep fried. However, you can make a taquito healthier by making it vegetarian or vegan and baking rather than frying them.
To be honest, I didn’t even know what a Mexican taquito was when I first learned about them. Were they spelled tacquito? Who knew! But I loved the idea of the crispiness of a taco in burrito form.
This vegan taquito recipe is much healthier. That’s because I decided to make vegetarian baked taquitos, not fried. You still get the crispy shell without all that grease! And, not only is this meat replacement vegan, it’s gluten-free too.
That’s right, making taquitos vegan is an important milestone for the entire vegan movement! 🤗
How to Make Vegan Taquitos
Wondering how to make taquitos? You’ve come to the right place! The good news is you’ll love making this easy taquito recipe. First, you might be like me and be surprised that there are only a few taquitos ingredients you’ll need: tortillas, vegan chicken, vegan cream cheese, green salsa, chopped onion, cilantro, lime juice, taco seasoning vegan cheddar shreds, and an avocado. Not bad!
Note. You can make your own vegan chicken at home too!
So, to begin with, heat your oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
Step One: Create the Filling
In a medium-sized bowl add the vegan cream cheese. Place it in a microwave and heat for about 10 seconds, to soften it up. Next add the onion, salsa, cilantro, lime juice. and taco seasoning. Stir to combine. Reserve two tablespoons of this mixture into a small bowl.
Step Two: Prepare the Vegan Chicken Strips
On a cutting board, cut the chicken strips into long, thin slices. Add this and the cheese to the creamy filling mixture in the medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine.
Note: Mix things up by adding some Sofritas to your taquito filling!
Step Three: Fill the Tortillas
Place the tortillas in a microwave and warm them up for about 10 seconds or so. This makes them soft and pliable.
Add 2-3 tablespoons of the filling mixture slightly off center on one of the warmed tortillas. Spread it out in a line across the tortilla and then roll up the tortilla tightly. Place it seam side down in the prepared pan. Repeat until you run out of the vegan chicken mixture.
Step Four Bake!
Place the pan of taquitos in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until the tortillas are crisp and browned on the edges.
Step Five: Prepare the Taquitos Sauce
In the meantime make your avocado dipping sauce by adding the cubed avocado to the small bowl with the reserved cream/cilantro filling. Stir together to combine. You can add more lime juice if it’s too thick.
When the taquitos are done, remove them from the oven. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then serve warm with the Avocado Dipping Sauce for taquitos.
Why You’ll Love Vegan Taquitos
If you like cheesy, creamy goodness surrounded by a crispy tortilla dipped in avocado goodness, you’re going to love this vegetarian taquito recipe. What’s a taquito, exactly? Well, it’s what happens when a taco meets a burrito and falls in love. 😉
Use these tips and tricks to make these vegan taquitos perfect every single time!
- Are taquitos gluten free? Not if you use traditional flour tortillas. However, you can use gluten-free tortillas (corn or gluten-free flour tortillas) to make gluten free taquitos.
- This recipe uses vegan cream cheese: I used Tofutti’s, however Daiya makes a very good vegan cream cheese too.
- If you’re looking for more taquito sauce recipes, you can dip taquitos in salsa, this tasty vegan black bean dip recipe, or even this vegan queso dip!
- Add about 1/2 cup of canned black beans to make black bean taquitos!
- Add steamed vegetables to make a vegetable taquitos recipe.
- Some people don’t like the flavor of cilantro. Feel free to substitute fresh parsley or even chopped chives.
- Be sure to serve this with Hibiscus Margaritas!
- You don’t have to bake this recipe. You can serve it more like a taquito wrap or burrito if that works for you!
- Meal prep this recipe by placing cooked vegan taquitos on a tray and placing the tray in the freezer. After 30 minutes or so, transfer to a freezer bag. That’s right, that means you’ll have vegetarian taquitos frozen and ready to heat and serve any time of day!
- Add extra vegan cheese for even more cheesy taquitos!
Easy Vegan Taquitos
Have I mentioned how easy this vegetarian taquitos recipe is? If so, I can’t help repeating myself because I’m so exited about these vegan homemade chicken taquitos! We all are looking for more convenience in our day. And we know that home-cooked meals are so important. Finding a way to make easy, vegan home-cooked meals is the trick.
These veggie taquitos is all of the above! You simply throw together the filling ingredients, put them on a tortilla, roll that tortilla up, place it in a foil-lined pan (easy clean-up too that way) and bake them.
Then 15 minutes later you can be yelling, “Come and get it!” I mean, don’t yell if your family is right there. That would be rude. Of course, they might forgive you if there’s some delicious taquitos waiting. 🙂
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
We love these Vegan “Chicken” Taquitos and we hope you love it as much as we do! Be sure to check out my favorite Sweet Potato Seven Layer Dip which is another fun Cinco de Mayo recipe. Oh, and that reminds me, we were talking about margaritas earlier…I have a recipe for Hibiscus Margaritas coming next week. I can’t wait to share it with you!
Vegan Chicken Taquitos
- ½ cup dairy-free cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons white onion chopped
- 1/3 cup green salsa
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 package Beyond Meat Grilled Chicken Strips* thawed
- 1 cup vegan cheddar or mexican blend shredded cheese
- 10 small flour tortillas regular or gluten-free
- 1 avocado peeled and chopped
- Heat your oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a medium-sized bowl add the vegan cream cheese. Place it in a microwave and heat for about 10 seconds, to soften it up. Next add the onion, salsa, cilantro, lime juice. and taco seasoning. Stir to combine. Reserve two tablespoons of this mixture into a small bowl.
- On a cutting board, cut the chicken strips into long, thin slices. Add this and the cheese to the creamy filling mixture in the medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine.
- Place the tortillas in a microwave and warm them up for about 10 seconds or so. This makes them soft and pliable.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of the filling mixture slightly off center on one of the warmed tortillas. Spread it out in a line across the tortilla and then roll up the tortilla tightly. Place it seam side down in the prepared pan. Repeat until you run out of the vegan chicken mixture.
- Place the pan of taquitos in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until the tortillas are crisp and browned on the edges.
- In the meantime make your avocado dipping sauce by adding the cubed avocado to the small bowl with the reserved cream/cilantro filling. Stir together to combine. You can add more lime juice if it’s too thick.
- When the taquitos are done, remove them from the oven. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then serve warm with the Avocado Dipping Sauce.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.