Vegan Chicken Taquitos – for your next meat-free, easy, and delicious meal! A crispy shell on the outside is combined with creamy ingredients on the inside and an avocado dipping sauce to finish it off. Vegan Chicken Taquitos are super easy to make and will have your family begging for more! Make these today!
Do you look at this recipe and think “easy peasy”? Me neither, but come to find out, we should be thinking that. Because although it looks like a complicated dinner, these ten ingredients come together so naturally (aka, quickly). And the next thing you know, you’re sitting at the table enjoying a delicious dinner with your family.
Oh, who am I kidding. You’re sitting on the couch watching The Simpsons while eating a delicious dinner with your family.
I may be speaking from personal experience on that one. Don’t judge!
Did you see Gene Baur of the Farm Sanctuary on The Daily Show? Gene and Jon shot the breeze about, oh, I dunno, some topic near and dear to my heart…veganism! I couldn’t believe it! If you missed it, here are a couple of my favorite quotes from that episode:
People recognize that the way we’re eating in this country is problematic. People are suffering from heart disease and cancer. People are recognizing that climate change is a major issue we need to look at. We can make one choice to eat plant foods instead of animal foods and it will have an impact. This is something everybody can do. There’s a lot of things in this world that we don’t have a lot of control over, but we decide what to eat — every day there’s a choice to make. — Gene Baur, Farm Sanctuary
That was a pretty cool thing to see on The Daily Show. But then Jon Stewart said something else that was pretty amazing.
Eating mindfully and vegan seems to be the solution to nutrition, to health, to global warming. — Jon Stewart, The Daily Show
Of course, Stewart also points to the need for more convenience in vegan cooking before it can go mainstream. Baur follows that up by pointing out that vegan meats and cheeses are becoming more and more readily available…and good!
Case in point? These Vegan “Chicken” Taquitos are made with Beyond Meat’s Beyond Chicken Grilled Strips. Not only is this meat replacement vegan, but it’s gluten-free too.
Why You’ll Love These Vegan Chicken Taquitos
If you like cheesy, creamy goodness surrounded by a crispy tortilla dipped in avocado goodness, you’re going to love these Taquitos. What’s a taquito, exactly? Well, it’s what happens when a taco meets a burrito and falls in love. 😉
You can even use gluten-free tortillas (corn or gluten-free flour tortillas) to make the entire dish both vegan and gluten-free!
And have I mentioned how easy this recipe is? I think I have but I can’t help repeating myself because I’m so exited about this. We all are looking for more convenience in our day. And we know that home-cooked meals are so important. Finding a way to make easy, vegan home-cooked meals is the trick.
This recipe combines both of those. You simply throw together the filling ingredients, put them on a tortilla, roll that tortilla up, place it in a foil-lined pan (easy clean-up too that way) and bake them. Then 15 minutes later you can be yelling, “Come and get it!” I mean, don’t yell if your family is right there. That would be rude. Of course, they might forgive you if there’s some delicious taquitos waiting. 🙂
We love these Vegan “Chicken” Taquitos and we hope you love it as much as we do! Be sure to check out my favorite Sweet Potato Seven Layer Dip which is another fun Cinco de Mayo recipe. Oh, and that reminds me, we were talking about margaritas earlier…I have a recipe for Hibiscus Margaritas coming next week. I can’t wait to share it with you!
In the meantime, happy vegan eating!
Vegan Chicken Taquitos
- ½ cup dairy-free cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons white onion chopped
- 1/3 cup green salsa
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro chopped
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 package Beyond Meat Grilled Chicken Strips* thawed
- 1 cup vegan cheddar or mexican blend shredded cheese
- 10 small flour tortillas regular or gluten-free
- 1 avocado peeled and chopped
- Heat your oven to 400F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a medium-sized bowl add the vegan cream cheese. Place it in a microwave and heat for about 10 seconds, to soften it up. Next add the onion, salsa, cilantro, lime juice. and taco seasoning. Stir to combine. Reserve two tablespoons of this mixture into a small bowl.
- On a cutting board, cut the chicken strips into long, thin slices. Add this and the cheese to the creamy filling mixture in the medium-sized bowl. Stir to combine.
- Place the tortillas in a microwave and warm them up for about 10 seconds or so. This makes them soft and pliable.
- Add 2-3 tablespoons of the filling mixture slightly off center on one of the warmed tortillas. Spread it out in a line across the tortilla and then roll up the tortilla tightly. Place it seam side down in the prepared pan. Repeat until you run out of the vegan chicken mixture.
- Place the pan of taquitos in the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes, until the tortillas are crisp and browned on the edges.
- In the meantime make your avocado dipping sauce by adding the cubed avocado to the small bowl with the reserved cream/cilantro filling. Stir together to combine. You can add more lime juice if it's too thick.
- When the taquitos are done, remove them from the oven. Allow to cool for a few minutes and then serve warm with the Avocado Dipping Sauce.