This sparkling basil lemonade recipe is a refreshing summertime drink, made with fresh lemons and basil. These two flavors come together nicely in this sparkling drink. It’s easy to make lemonade from scratch and it tastes better too!
Speaking of refreshing beverages, this green tea hibiscus fruit punch is pretty amazing too!
If you are like me and grew up drinking lemonade from frozen concentrate, you’re in for a real treat with today’s recipe. We’re making a homemade basil lemonade that is so refreshing and easy to make too! You’ll wonder why you haven’t made lemonade from scratch before!
How do you make lemonade from scratch?
To make homemade lemonade, you’ll need to create the lemon concentrate. To do that, combine lemon juice, lemon zest, sugar and water together. You can either add this to a pitcher and stir to dissolve the sugar, or cook it in a saucepan until the sugar has dissolved. This is your lemonade concentrate. To serve, add ice to a glass along with lemon slices. Pour in some of the concentrate with some additional water or club soda (for a fizzy lemonade).
That’s the simple truth. But let’s talk about basil lemonade. For example, why do these two flavors go together?
I can imagine your question might be, will the flavor of the basil will overwhelm this drink? The answer is no. In fact, the basil only adds a mild aftertaste, which is actually very tasty!
How to Make Basil Lemonade
You can make this refreshing Basil Lemonade in less than 10 minutes! Here are the steps:
- Use fresh lemons to create strips of lemon zest. Then juice the lemons.
- Stir and cook the water, sugar, and lemon juice until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove from heat and add the basil leaves and lemon zest strips. Allow this to seep for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Strain the lemon basil syrup, to remove the basil and zest pieces.
- Pour the strained concentrate into a mason jar or lidded container and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled (at least one hour).
When you’re ready to serve the lemonade, add ice to a glass and pour in some of the lemonade concentrate. Then add either water or club soda.
Be sure to garnish the serving glasses with basil sprigs and sliced lemon.
You Might Also Like
Here are some more favorite beverage recipes to try:
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Italian Basil Lemonade
Lemon Basil Syrup
- 3 lemons
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup lemon juice
- ¼ cup fresh basil leaves
Serving Basil Lemonade
- 2 cups water or club soda chilled
- Crushed ice
- Garnish with lemon slices and basil sprigs
For the Lemon Basil Syrup
- Use a vegetable peeler to peel the outer layer of the lemons, creating several strips of lemon zest. Use a juicer to extract juice from the peeled lemons.
- Combine sugar, water, and 1 cup lemon juice (supplementing with additional lemon juice as needed to equal one cup) in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir and cook until this mixture comes to a simmer and the sugar disolves. Remove from heat and add the basil leaves and lemon zest strips. Allow the basil to seep for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Strain the lemon basil syrup, to remove the basil and zest pieces. Pour this into a mason jar or lidded container and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled (at least one hour).
- When you're ready to serve the lemonade, add the water or club soda, crushed ice and basil sprigs to a pitcher with the lemonade concentrate. Pour into individual glasses. Garnish with fresh basil leaves and lemon slices.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.