This Piña Colada Smoothie is one of my favorite ways to get my greens in. I especially love it when we have fresh pineapple in the house. That’s right. Fresh Pineapple is in the house…or at least it “was” in the house. If you’re into smoothies, check out my Vegan Green Tea Banana Smoothie or my Chocolate Peanut Butter Smoothie.
I first read about adding spinach to a smoothie several years ago and I had one word for that idea: Oooh, gross. Technically that’s two words, but I’m not certain “oooh” counts.
Somehow I mustered the courage to try adding raw spinach to my smoothies and I’m glad I did. Believe it or not, when you add a banana and some other fruit, the flavor of the spinach blends quite nicely into the mix.
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Adding coconut flakes brings out the undeniably delicious flavor of coconut
- Fresh pineapple completes the flavor profile and adds healthy nutrients to this smoothie
- Using fresh spinach helps add greens to this healthy smoothie without a big impact on flavor.
The Green Piña Colada Smoothie
I remember the first time I was introduced to spinach. I was at a friend’s house for dinner and his mother put some dark green, slimy mess on a plate and placed it on the table.
Are we supposed to eat that?” I thought to myself.
All it took was one bite and I didn’t touch the stuff again until my adult years and that was because a friend convinced me that raw, fresh spinach isn’t slimy and the flavor is really quite subtle. I liked it.
So, that’s the first thing you’ll love. This Piña Colada Smoothie allows you to get your greens in, without feeling all grossed out about it. Besides, spinach is soooooo good for you. And it’s not always easy to sit around eating a big heap of the stuff. Adding it to a smoothie? It’s a great way to go!
Isn’t it so funny how things change? You couldn’t have paid me to eat spinach for most of my life. Now here I am drinking a glass full of it…and loving it.
More Beverage Recipes:
We hope you love this recipe for our Piña Colada Smoothie. If you decide to make it, snap a photo and share it with us using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your creations!
Pina Colada Smoothie
- ¼ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 cup coconut water or plant-based milk
- 2 cups raw spinach
- 1 banana ripe
- 1 cup diced pineapple canned will work, but fresh is better
- 1 cup ice
- Place the coconut flakes and coconut water in a blender. Pulse until smooth and a milk-like substance is created.
- Add spinach, banana, and pineapple in a blender and pulse until well-blended.
- Add the ice and pulse until the ice is blended.
- Pour into a glass and serve!
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.