This easy pumpkin spice cake recipe creates a tender cake with a gorgeous, creamy, spiced frosting. Make this vegan pumpkin cake from scratch using only 10 simple ingredients plus the frosting. This cake comes together quickly meaning soon you’ll be enjoying all the deliciousness!
I love all the pumpkin recipes during the fall. To be completely honest, I love pumpkin all year round! This cake is a perfect example because the pumpkin keeps it nice and moist and that cream cheese frosting adds gooey goodness to every bite. It’s true, I’m a frosting girl!
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Apple cider vinegar
- Vegetable oil
- Granulated sugar
- Pumpkin puree
- Flour — I recommend all-purpose flour but you can substitute whole wheat pastry flour (different than whole wheat flour)
- Baking soda
- Pumpkin pie spice
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Cake from Scratch
Are you wondering how to make a pumpkin cake? Let me tell you this, it’s fun and easy to make pumpkin spice cakes recipes! Let’s begin with the ingredients and steps for this vegan cake recipe.
Step One: Combine Wet Ingredients
In a medium-size bowl, combine the water, vinegar, oil, sugar, pumpkin, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Set aside.
Step Two: Combine the Dry Ingredients
In a separate bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking soda, and spices. Use a whisk or a fork to whisk the ingredients together.
Step Three: Make the Batter
Create a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour the pumpkin mixture into the well. Use a spatula to get all the pumpkin mixture out of the bowl.
Then stir the pumpkin mixture in with the flour mixture. I like to use a whisk to stir everything together and break up any flour bits. Stir until combined.
Here’s where you can stir in some add-ins, like chopped pecans or dairy-free chocolate chips.
Step Four: Pour and Bake
Pour the batter into a prepared 9×13-inch cake pan and bake for 35 to 40 minutes.
When it’s done, you should be able to insert a tester in the center and have it come out clean.
When the cake is done, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely before frosting.
Step Five: Frost and Serve
This spiced pumpkin cake is delicious without frosting, but I highly recommend serving it with my vegan cream cheese frosting. Be sure to allow it to cool completely before frosting it.
Does Pumpkin Cake Have to Be Refrigerated?
Pumpkin cake will keep at room temperature for up to 4 or 5 days. So, if you’ll be eating it within that time-frame, it will be fine. However, if it’s unusually warm in your kitchen or if you will be taking longer to eat it, it should be refrigerated.
- Make a vegan gluten-free pumpkin cake by substituting a 1:1 gluten-free baking flour.
- Create a Pumpkin Spice Birthday Cake by adding candles or baking it as a layer cake!
- Make pumpkin spice cake muffins by distributing the batter into muffin pan compartments. Cook them for 20 to 25 minutes.
Most recipes for pumpkin spice cake use canned pumpkin puree, meaning you can make this delicious cake all year round!
Vegan Pumpkin Recipes
That’s it for this ultimate pumpkin spice cake!
I hope you love this recipe as we do. Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Pumpkin Spice Cake
- Heat oven to 350*F. Spray a 9×13 baking pan with vegetable spray
- In a medium-size bowl combine the water, vinegar, oil, sugar, pumpkin, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking soda, and spices. Whisk until well combined. Create a well in the middle of the flour ingredients.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture. Use a whisk to stir until well-combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for about 35–40 minutes. Insert a tester in the center. If it comes out clean or mostly clean (with only a few crumbs), the cake is done. If not, return it to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes or so.
- When the cake is done, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely before adding the Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
This post was originally published in 2012 and was updated to include new photos, new text, and an updated recipe in 2020.
Whatever vegan pumpkin desserts you’re making and munching on, enjoy!
Also, I created a quote graphic with one of the original photos from this post. Here you go.