The Best Easy Pumpkin Spice Cake Recipe creates a tender cake with a creamy spiced frosting. Make this Easy Pumpkin Cake from scratch using simple ingredients for the best vegan cake recipe! This quick and easy Pumpkin Spice Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting is perfect to serve for all occasions!
Easy Pumpkin Spice Cake recipes from scratch are fun to make in the fall or any time of the year. When I set about to test this, I had several criteria for success. For example, I wanted it to be delicious! Obviously! But I also wanted to make this pumpkin spice cake recipe easy!
How to Make Pumpkin Spice Cake from Scratch
Are you wondering how to make a pumpkin cake? Let me tell you this, it’s fun and easy to make pumpkin spice cakes recipes! Let’s begin with the ingredients and steps for this vegan cake recipe.
Step One: Combine Wet Ingredients
In a medium-size bowl combine the plant-based milk, vinegar, oil, applesauce, sugar, pumpkin, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Set aside.
Pulse until smooth and then add vegan butter and sugar and pulse again until smooth. Finally, add the pumpkin puree and vanilla and pulse again until this mixture is nice and smooth. Set aside.
Step Two: Combine the Dry Ingredients
In a separate bowl combine the flour, cornstarch, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and spices. Use a whisk or a fork to whisk the ingredients together.
Step Three: Make the Batter
Create a well in the middle of the flour mixture and pour the pumpkin mixture into the well. Use a spatula to get all the pumpkin mixture out of the food processor. Then stir the pumpkin mixture in with the flour mixture. Stir until just combined.
Add chopped pecans and stir again until combined.
Step Four: Pour and Bake
Pour the batter into a prepared 9X13 inch cake pan and bake for 35 – 40 minutes, until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
When the cake is done, remove from the oven and allow it to cool completely before frosting.
Step Five: Frost and Serve
This spiced pumpkin cake is delicious without frosting, but if you’d like to make pumpkin spice cake icing, I highly recommend serving this pumpkin spice cake recipe with cream cheese frosting. Be sure to frost the top of the cake once it’s completely cooled.
Alternatively, a delicious Vegan Vanilla Buttercream Frosting would be delicious on this cake as well.
Why You’ll Love Homemade Pumpkin Cake
Imagine this is a spice cake and pumpkin has been added for extra flavor. The fall flavors in easy pumpkin cake recipe with canned pumpkin are amazing! Cinnamon. Ginger. Nutmeg. Cloves. And Pumpkin. Oh how I love the pumpkin!
This moist Pumpkin Cake recipe is bursting with beta carotene (thanks to the pumpkin) and even a healthy dose of fiber thanks to the chickpeas. Yeah, that’s right. I put chickpeas in my vegan cake. It’s kind of kooky, but then again, that’s me!
I have a feeling lots of people love the flavor of pumpkin – that’s why it’s so popular the second the leaves start to turn colors. Pumpkin cake recipes from scratch are the best!
Use these expert tips to make this homemade pumpkin spice cake perfect every time:
- This spiced cake and pumpkin recipe calls for a can of regular chickpeas (not the low sodium variety)
- I use Earth Balance for vegan butter
- When using pumpkin puree, be sure to use plain pumpkin
- Feel free to mix up the spices to your taste preferences, or use pumpkin pie spice instead of the ones listed below
- This makes for lovely pumpkin birthday cakes by baking it as a layer cake. Pour pumpkin cake batter into two round cake pans (bake for 25 – 30 minutes) and add frosting in between the layers and on the top layer
- Create a Pumpkin Spice Birthday Cake by adding candles or baking it as a layer cake!
All you need is a recipe for spice cake and a can of pumpkin to make this delicious cake all year round!
I hope you love Easy Pumpkin Cake Recipes as much as we do! That’s why I was more than thrilled to open up my first can of pumpkin and get out the spices…and go to town in the kitchen. I call it my “rain dance” for fall. The only difference is fall comes whether I dance for it or not. But I don’t care. The dance is part of the deal and I’ll continue to play my part. Care to join me?
That’s it for this ultimate pumpkin spice love cake!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Pumpkin Spice Cake
- 1 cup plant-based milk (I used almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 15 oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour (See note)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- Heat oven to 350*F. Spray a 9 X 13 baking pan with vegetable spray
- In a medium-size bowl combine the milk, vinegar, oil, appleauce, sugar, pumpkin, and vanilla. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl stir together the flour, cornstarch, ground flax, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and spices. Whisk until well combined. Create a well in the middle of the flour ingredients.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture. Use a spatula to get all the pumpkin mixture from the food processor. Stir until well-combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared cake pan and bake for about 40 – 45 minutes. Insert a tester in the center. If it comes out clean or mostly clean (with only a few crumbs), the cake is done. If not, return it to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes or so.
- When the cake is done, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely before adding the Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting.
My favorite part of this recipe? Taking the time to enjoy each bite! You should consider biting into some other fall recipes like these:
- Becky at the Cookie Rookie is sharing some Pumpkin Pie Skillet Brownies. You should check those out!
- Take a bite out of crime with these Vegan Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies by Running with Spoons
- Or you might just enjoy these Vegan Pumpkin Swirl Brownies by yours truly!
Whatever pumpkin dessert you’re munching on, enjoy!
Also, I created a quote graphic with one of the original photos from this post. Here you go.