It’s the first day of November so you know what that means? It’s no longer cool to carve pumpkins and leave them out on the front porch. Nope. Now the only thing we can do with pumpkins is eat them. Um, I don’t know about you but this little change in strategy is fine by me. I personally think eating pumpkins is something I do quite well. We all need to have a calling in life…who knows, that might just be mine! So I’ll begin the pumpkin eating tradition with today’s recipe for Vegan Pumpkin Crisp.
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Pumpkin puree — You’ll need 1 15 oz can of plain pumpkin puree
- Full-fat coconut milk — I look for coconut milk with at least 12–15 grams of fat
- Brown sugar — You can use light or dark, or make homemade brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Ground cinnamon
- Pumpkin pie spice
- Yellow Cake Mix — Look at the ingredients to make sure the cake mix is made without eggs or dairy (You can also use Spice Cake Mix)
- Vegan butter — My favorite is Earth Balance
- Chopped pecans.
How to Make Vegan Pumpkin Crisp
If you are wondering how to make this special Vegan Pumpkin Crisp, you’ve come to the right place. Just follow these instructions and you’re good to go!
Step One: Make Pumpkin Pie Filling
- Combine Ingredients — Combine the pumpkin puree, coconut milk, sugars, cornstarch, and spices in a bowl. Stir vigorously to combine. If your coconut milk is somewhat solid, you can use a mixer or food processor to make this step faster. Or, heat the coconut milk in the microwave for 20–30 seconds to make it smoother.
- Pour — Pour the pumpkin mixture into the prepared baking dish.
Step Two: Crumble Topping
- Sprinkle Cake Mix — Open the box of cake mix and distribute it equally across the top of the pumpkin mixture.
- Drizzle Butter — Drizzle the top of the cake mix with the melted vegan butter. Then top with chopped pecans.
Step Three: Bake
Remove the dish from the oven and set it aside to cool for 10–20 minutes. Be sure to serve warm slices with a dollop of favorite non-dairy ice cream, like Vegan No-Churn Ice Cream or this Coconut Whipped Cream.
We had some family in town recently and I love it when that happens. More victims, I mean taste testers. I had to make this recipe twice to get it right, but no one seemed to mind. I guess they share my love of pumpkin too.
And it’s not as if the first batch was disgusting. Trust me, I have made my share of disgusting before. I recall the time I made a cake and forgot the sugar. It was not pretty.
No, the first batch of this Vegan Pumpkin Crisp wasn’t missing any key ingredients and it tasted fine…it just needed a little pizzazz. If you look up “pizzazz” in the dictionary, I’m sure it will list “Crumble Topping” because it definitely provides “an attractive combination of vitality and glamor” to most recipes.
And this recipe allows me to add another one to my list of 100 Things to Do with Chickpeas. I know. Chickpeas. Who’d have thought? But it works. If you don’t believe me, maybe you’ll just have to make this recipe for yourself. Of course, you could also just ask my family.
Easy Vegan Pumpkin Crisp
Pumpkin Pie Filling
- 1 Package of Yellow or Spice Cake Mix* (see notes)
- ½ cup vegan butter melted
- ½ cup chopped pecan
For the Pumpkin Pie Filling:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Prepare a 9 X 12 baking pan by giving it a light coating of vegetable spray.
- Combine the pumpkin puree, coconut milk, sugars, cornstarch, and spices in a bowl. Stir vigorously to combine. If your coconut milk is somewhat solid, you can use a mixer or food processor to make this step faster. Or, heat the coconut milk in the microwave for 20–30 seconds to make it smoother.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the prepared baking dish.
For the Crumble Topping
- Open the box of cake mix and distribute it equally across the top of the pumpkin mixture.
- Drizzle the top of the cake mix with the melted vegan butter. Then top with chopped pecans.
- Bake for 40 minutes until the center is set and the topping is golden brown.
- Remove the pan from the oven and set aside to cool for 10–20 minutes. Serve while still warm with a dollop of your favorite non-dairy ice cream or vegan whipped cream.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.