This Spanish Quinoa Recipe makes a perfect side dish for your favorite plant-based Mexican dinners! Spanish style quinoa is easy to make and it’s also gluten-free and very nutritious!
I’ve been in a mood for Mexican food lately, which was the impetus behind this delicious new recipe Spanish Quinoa.
Having on hand some of my favorite Vegan Cheese Sauce made this recipe a perfect fit for a quick and easy, tasty addition to our recent family Mexican-themed dinner. It will work for yours as well!
Mexican food is so great to share with others because you can make it meat free and most people won’t even notice! And if you have gluten-free folks in your crowd, it’s also easy to make a lot of international dishes gluten free as well.
This quinoa Spanish rice makes is so amazing because it’s creamy and cheesy too!
How To Make Spanish Quinoa
Quinoa Mexican rice is easy to make! I love adding it over greens to make skinny Spanish quinoa salad. It’s basically a quinoa with tomato sauce recipe, which is why it’s so easy to make. Here’s what’s involved.
Cook chopped onions in the oil in a medium-sized sauce pan over medium heat until the onions are good and tender.
Add the minced garlic along with the quinoa and cook another minute, stirring so all the quinoa is equally distributed.
Add the vegetable broth and water; bring it to a boil and then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20 -25 minutes until the liquid has cooked down and the quinoa is tender.
Now it’s time for the good stuff. Add the salsa. Depending on the consistency of your salsa, you might need to let any extra liquid cook out a little longer. You don’t want this to be a runny side dish.
You could stop here if you want and you’d have a great side dish. However, I found that adding a cup of my favorite vegan cheese took this recipe from great to fabulous. I always vote for going for the FAB! If you agree, add one cup of vegan cheese and stir it so it’s well incorporated.
Top with slivers of sweet bell pepper.
Watch for the stampede of family running in for seconds!
Love Vegan Mexican Recipes?
If you love this quinoa Spanish rice, you’re going to go gaga for these amazing vegan Mexican dishes:
- Everyone loves these easy Vegan Enchiladas! Just imagine black beans in a tortilla smothered in sauce and vegan cheddar. Yes, amazing!
- Serve this fresh and tasty Black Bean Dip as a side dish or with chips as an appetizer.
- Make some Vegan Mexican Lasagna because it’s easy, devour it because it’s delicious!
- Check out over 50 Vegan Cinco de Mayo Recipes!
Is Quinoa Healthy?
Quinoa is basically a seed, which means it’s packed with nutrients, like protein, fiber, magnesium, and more. Also, cooks love it because you can make quinoa easy and quick — no soaking is required!
Spanish Quinoa Stuffed Peppers
Do you love easy quinoa recipes? Use this tasty Spanish quinoa to make stuffed peppers! Simply cut a red bell pepper in half (from top down) and remove the seeds from the middle. Then stuff with quinoa mixture and top with more vegan cheddar cheese. Bake at 350F for about 35 – 45 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the peppers are tender.
You can even use the mini red bell peppers to make this into stuffed pepper appetizers. It’s SO good!
Having the meal prepared so quickly was nice. But having such rave reviews from the non-vegan folks that ate it? Well, that was just icing on a really good cake! Or maybe vegan cheese on some freshly cooked quinoa.
Ahh, life is good!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup Salsa use your favorite
- 1 cup Vegan Cheese Sauce or Vegan cheese
- Chopped Bell Peppers optional
- Cook chopped onions in the oil in a sauce pan over medium heat until the onions are tender.
- Add the minced garlic along with the quinoa and cook another minute, stirring until the quinoa is equally distributed.
- Add the vegetable broth and water; bring it to a boil and then reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 20 -25 minutes until the liquid has cooked down and the quinoa is tender.
- Add the salsa. Depending on the consistency of your salsa, you might need to drain any extra liquid.
- Optional: Add vegan cheese and stir to distribute it throughout.
- Top with slivers of sweet bell pepper.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.