This homemade vegan taco recipe makes the best tacos EVER! It’s so easy to throw taco ingredients together for a quick taco night dinner any day of the week! Easy vegan tacos are served in corn tortillas with a tasty vegan taco meat and all the best toppings!
Who doesn’t love Taco Tuesdays? Or tacos any days for that matter. I like to serve the toppings in individual bowls so people can make their own tacos just the way they like them. That’s me. Keeping everyone happy for decades. Or at least trying!
How to make Vegan Tacos
*Note: A printable recipe card including ingredient quantities can be found at the bottom of this post.
It’s easy to make this healthy vegan tacos recipe. Let’s begin with a discussion of the ingredients.
- Vegan taco meat — I like using my vegan taco meat recipe because it’s easy to make and infused with black beans and corn.
- Shredded lettuce — Greens are important for making the best tacos. I love using romaine lettuce, but iceberg and/or leaf lettuce work here too.
- Onions — Personally, I think red onions are best here, but any variety of onion will work, even green onions!
- Salsa — You’ll want to have your favorite salsa on-hand. You can choose chunky, mild, hot, or whatever works best for you!
- Avocado — Adding some sliced avocados makes these tacos even better. Of course, you can transform that avocado into my vegan guacamole and serve that on top of each taco too.
- Cashew cream — This is purely optional, but if you like your tacos supreme style, this cashew cream adds a little tangy, creamy flavor to every bite.
- Corn tortillas — How do you like your tacos? With a crispy shell? Or with a soft shell? Either way is fine here!
Steps to Make the Best Vegan Tacos
So, let’s get to the good stuff — making these delicious tacos. Here are the steps involved:
- Vegan Taco Meat — Prepare the taco meat according to the recipe instructions. It’s a fairly easy recipe and should take around 15 minutes. Note: You can make it a day ahead too and store in the fridge.
- Prepare Toppings — Next, prepare the topping ingredients. This includes things like shredding the lettuce, peeling and chopping the avocados, making the cashew cream, etc.
- Assemble Your Tacos — Now’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for! time to assemble those tacos! Begin by adding some taco filling to the bottom of each taco, followed by shredded lettuce, chopped onions, salsa, and avocado slices. Drizzle the tacos with cashew cream (and hot sauce if that’s your jam).
What to serve with vegan tacos?
Looking for more vegan taco ideas? Pile them high with your favorite ingredients, like vegan cheddar shreds, black bean dip, or even some corn salsa! I always like having a batch of sofritas on hand too!
You can also transform this eating experience into a taco bar! Simply serve each ingredient in bowls with serving spoons and allow everyone to add their own toppings.
This veggie taco recipe is so easy and versatile. Add more toppings based on your favorites. For example, my family loves adding Catalina dressing to tacos. We also love some vegan ranch dressing too!
Vegan Mexican Food
Sure, you love this vegan tacos recipe, but now you’re ready for even more good vegan Mexican food. I’m so right there with you! Here are some favorites you will want to try:
- These vegan enchiladas are easy and tasty
- Make this vegan Mexican lasagna for a filling and satisfying meal any day of the week
- We keep a batch of these vegan burritos on hand most of the time
- Everyone loves this vegan taco casserole recipe
- Serve your tacos with a side of this easy vegan queso dip
- You can never go wrong with a side of baked vegan nachos
- This vegan seven layer dip is so good served with chips!
What’s the difference between a vegetarian tacos recipe and a vegan one? It’s all about the cheese! Vegetarians will love the same plant-based taco meat that this recipe calls for, but they may or may not go for the vegan cheese. That said, everyone loves that cashew cream!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
- Prepare the taco meat according to the instructions. It's a fairly easy recipe and should take around 15 minutes. You can always make it a day ahead too.
- Prepare any ingredients, like shredding the lettuce, peeling and chopping the avocados, making the cashew cream, etc.
- To prepare tacos, simply add some taco meat to the bottom of each taco, followed by shredded lettuce, chopped onions, salsa, and avocado slices. Drizzle with cashew cream (and hot sauce if that's your jam). You can serve it as a taco bar by having ingredients in bowls.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.