This easy Vegan Peanut Butter Cake Recipe is a dream dessert for all peanut butter lovers! Old fashioned peanut butter cake is made dairy free and egg free and you won’t even miss it! You’ll love this light and fluffy homemade peanut butter cake made with minimal ingredients.
Lately I’ve been into making fun, easy vegan desserts. The latest on my list is this Vegan Peanut Butter Wacky Cake. If you remember, I recently shared this Wacky Cake.
Why You’ll Love Vegan Peanut Butter Wacky Cake
Finding a recipe that is both easy and delicious is not always achievable. However, this vegan dessert recipe meets both criteria and a couple of others as well, such as affordable, and irresistible!
This recipe uses one round pan. What I love about this is that you can enjoy a slice or two with your friends or family, and not worry that you’ll eat too much of it. Not that anyone would worry about a thing like that. 🙂
How to a Make Peanut Butter Cake From Scratch
This easy peanut butter cake recipe is based off of the famous “wackycake” that originated in the Depression-era when ingredients were in short demand. Creative cooks took what ingredients were available and made do. Interesting enough, dairy products were one of those scarce ingredients.
That’s why I refer to this as an old school peanut butter cake. Of course, this recipe uses peanut butter powder, but it’s still pretty old school!
Let’s get started with this peanut cake recipe!
Step One: Combine Dry Ingredients
Combine in a large mixing bowl the flour, sugar, peanut butter powder, salt and baking soda. Stir to combine.
Step Two: Combine Wet Ingredients
In a smaller bowl combine the vegetable oil, water, vinegar and vanilla. Stir to combine.
Step Three: Make the Batter
Pour the water mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until combined.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Allow the pb cake to cool for about 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar or top with Peanut Butter Frosting.
Step Four: Peanut Butter Frosting
To make peanut butter frosting, add 2 tablespoons peanut butter in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in a microwave for about 20 seconds. Add 1 cup powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons peanut butter powder. Stir to combine.
It will be crumbly. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla-flavored plant-based milk. Stir to combine. Continue adding 1 teaspoon of plant-based milk at a time until you get a spreadable consistency.
There’s nothing like recipes for peanut butter cake with peanut butter frosting!
Use these expert tips to make this recipe perfect every single time:
- Be sure to preheat your oven before baking because once you mix the batter, you’ll want to bake it right away.
- Also, double this recipe to make peanut butter cakes! Add some Vegan Chocolate Frosting in the middle of the layers. It’s like a nutter butter cake…perfection!
- I used PB2 powder to make this recipe
- You can substitute coconut sugar for granulated sugar for a healthy peanut butter cake!
- I find using vegetable oil (instead of melted vegan butter) works best to make the most moist cake.
- Use the peanut butter icing recipe or serve slices with a little bit of powdered sugar on top.
- Be sure to coat your pan with vegetable cooking spray. Alternatively, you can place a sheet of parchment paper in the bottom of the pan (Use scissors to cut it to fit the bottom of your pan) and then spray the top with vegetable cooking spray.
- Drizzle the top with melted chocolate chips for a different look and flavor!
That’s it for this moist Peanut Butter Cake recipe. It’s a tasty go-to dessert recipe!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Peanut Butter Wacky Cake Recipe
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray a round cake pan with vegetable spray. You can also place a piece of parchment paper at the bottom of the pan and spray the sides with vegetable oil.
- Combine in a large mixing bowl the flour, sugar, peanut butter powder, salt and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- In a smaller bowl combine the vegetable oil, water, vinegar and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Pour the water mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool for about 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate. Sprinkle the top with powdered sugar or top with Peanut Butter Frosting*
Here’s some other of the best peanut butter cake recipes you may want to try:
- Vegan Peanut Butter Carrot Dessert by Veggies Don’t Bite
- Vegan Peanut Butter Chocolate Cupcakes by Healthy Happy Life
- Peanut Butter Banana Blondies with Peanut Butter Frosting by yours truly! 🙂
Whatever simple peanut butter cake you’re nibbling on, enjoy!