Did you grow up eating Deviled Ham? You know the stuff in the little cans? Well, I thought my devilish days were over, but today I’ve got a little surprise for you: Vegan Deviled Ham Spread. It’s even better and cheaper than the little cans.
I didn’t eat deviled ham as a child. We couldn’t afford it then. I did eat it as a young adult. I remember thinking it was pretty good stuff. I’m just being honest here. I wasn’t a big fan of ham. It was at our family dinner each Easter, but it wast my jam. But for some reason pureed and served in a can with a red devil holding a pitchfork on the front, I liked it.
Maybe this is proof there’s a little bit of the devilishness in us all! 🙂
This vegan deviled ham spread is pretty easy to make – only a few ingredients!
How to Make Vegan Deviled Ham Spread
Were you worried this might be difficult to make? Worry no more, because with only a few ingredients and a food processor, you’ve got this! If you don’t have a food processor, a blender should work too.
Simply put some Spicy Roasted Chickpeas (see the link in the recipe) in a food processor along with some sun-dried tomatoes. After pulsing those together, add the rest of the ingredients, pulse again and voila! You are ready to start spreading on sandwiches.
See? I told you that was easy!
We love serving this Vegan Deviled Ham Spread on sandwiches, spreading a nice, thick layer over the bottom slice of bread, topping that with some lettuce and other goodies, like sliced green onions and tomatoes.
You can also serve this as an appetizer, by toasting some sliced baguette pieces and spreading dollops of this vegan deviled ham spread over the top. Place those on a platter and watch your guests go to town!
We hope you love this recipe for vegan deviled ham spread as much as we do! If you decide to make the recipe, snap a photo and share it using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
- 1 cup Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
- ¼ Sun-dried Tomatoes*
- 4 - 6 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 green onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 red chili pepper stemmed and seeds removed, chopped.**
- Optional Spice: 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce
Combine the roasted chickpeas and sundried tomatoes in a food processor. Pulse until this mixture is broken down into small bits.
Add the vegan mayo, chopped green onion, mustard, garlic powder, and liquid smoke. Pulse until combined.
You can serve this immediately on a bun or even open-faced sandwich. I've also had this spread with a corn tortilla to keep it gluten free.
* Sun-dried tomatoes come in many varieties. You can use sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, just chop them up a little before adding them to the food processor. I prefer to buy soft sun-dried tomatoes in a package. Just be aware, some packages of sun-dried tomatoes are hard and dry. If that's the kind you have, you'll need to soften them up in some hot water before adding them to this recipe. Follow the instructions on the back of the bag. ** If adding the red chili pepper sounds a little too spicy for your taste, sub with 1/4 cup red bell pepper, chopped