Sit down to a cup of coffee and the very Best Vegan Coffee Cake. Imagine a vegan crumb cake with just the right amount of cinnamon streusel topping! You will love this easy vegan coffee cake recipe that’s dairy-free and scrumptious! Make this vegetarian coffee cake recipe and see below for my tips on transforming this cake into coffee cake muffins!
I live my days with tiny obsessions. I fixate on things like chai-flavored foods. I’ve got Chai Chocolate Cake and Chai Muffins. I even started a Be My Chai pinterest board so I could take that obsession to the next level. I’m not messing around here, people! 🙂
My only saving grace is there’s a reason I fixate on these things, and it’s not just about how good they taste. The thing is the seasonings in Chai are so good for you – cinnamon, cardamon, chives, ginger, and nutmeg — these are more than spices. They’re superfood powerhouse spices!
What I love about Vegan Coffee Cake
This vegan cinnamon cake is soft and tender on the inside and crispy, crunchy on the outside. The streusel crumble topping.
I feel like Homer Simpson, because all I can think to say right now is, “Mmmm, streusel crumble topping” in a low mumbly voice.
Pumpkin Seeds, also known as pepitas, are full of healthy things like zinc, a range of antioxidants, iron, copper, and magnesium.
I keep a little glass container of pumpkin seeds on the counter and I grab a few from time-to-time. They’re great on salads…or soup…or even breakfast cake. Don’t you just love how that all came full circle? 🙂
How to Make a Vegan Coffee Cake
To make this egg free coffee cake, begin by combining the vegan streusel topping ingredients: Coconut sugar, cinnamon, vegan butter, and flour. Stir these together and then set aside or refrigerate.
Next, prepare the vegan cinnamon cake by beating together vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add the milk, flaxseed, cornstarch, and vinegar.
In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then pour the flour in with the butter mixture and stir until just combined.
Pour the dairy free coffee cake batter into the prepared pan and top with the crumble topping and pumpkin seeds. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until the edges of the cake are golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Do you love vegan breakfast recipes? Check out my Vegan Breakfast Casserole. It’s got layers of biscuits, tofu scramble, and vegan sausage all topped with cheese! You will love my easy Vegan Chocolate Croissant recipe! Finally, make a batch of my 10-Minute Tofu Scramble to serve over toast. It’s perfect!
Use these tips to making this vegan crumble cake perfect every time:
- For vegan butter I use Earth Balance
- Make sure the butter is softened by leaving it out on the counter for about 30 minutes
- You can double the crumble topping if you like more streusel
- Make this into a gluten free cinnamon streusel coffee cake by using gluten free baking flour in place of all-purpose flour
- Be sure to spread the streusel topping evenly across the coffee cake batter
- The pumpkin seeds are optional — if you don’t like them you can leave them out
- To make vegan coffee cake muffins, pour the batter into greased or papered muffin tins and then distribute the crumble topping evenly over each muffin before baking.
- Make vegan blueberry coffee cake by adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries to the coffee cake batter
- I think this would be delicious baked in a donut pan. Can you imagine vegan coffee cake donuts!
- Make this into a sugar free vegan coffee cake by using Swerve sweetener. It bakes 1:1 like sugar!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Coffee Cake
For the Crumble Topping:
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegan butter , softened
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- Heat your oven to 350Spray a 9X9 pan with vegetable spray.
- For the Crumble Topping: combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, pinch of salt, and vegan butter in a bowl. Stir to combine. Add the flour and stir until combined. Set aside.
- For the coffee cake: in a large bowl cream together the 3/4 cup of vegan butter and 1 cup of sugar. You can use a spoon here, but stir vigorously until light and fluffy. Add the plant-based milk, ground flax meal, cornstarch, and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine.
- In a medium size bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine. Add the flour mixture to the milk mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish. Evenly distribute the crumble topping across the batter. Sprinkle the top with pumpkin seeds. Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. The crumble topping should be nice and golden brown as well.
- When done, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.