This easy Vegan Coffee Cake recipe is a rich, buttery cake with a vegan streusel topping infused with cinnamon crumbles. It’s perfect for breakfast especially when paired with a cup of coffee or hot tea.
I live my days with tiny obsessions. I fixate on things like chai-flavored foods. For example, I’ve got Chai Chocolate Cake and Chai Muffins. I even started a Chai-Themed Pinterest board so I could take that obsession to the next level. I’m not messing around here, people! 🙂
My only saving grace is there’s a reason I fixate on these things, and it’s not just about how good they taste. The thing is the seasonings in Chai are so good for you – cinnamon, cardamon, chives, ginger, and nutmeg — these are more than spices. They’re superfood powerhouse spices!
I used to think coffee cake meant cake and coffee…together. That’s it. End of explanation. Once I learned it was so much more than that, I was hooked. Of course, that meant I had to figure out a way to make a coffee cake vegan!
Turns out, that’s pretty darn easy. So, that means this easy coffee cake recipe is equal parts dairy-free and scrumptious!
More About This Coffee Cake Recipe
Vegan coffee cake recipes should create a vegan cinnamon cake that is soft and moist on the inside with a crispy, crunchy topping. I’ve always been a “corner piece” kind of cake eater (because I like all the frosting), and it’s true for this coffee cake too — because there’s a certain crispness to the edges of the crust that I love.
Think of this way, a coffee cake basically a quick cake recipe with a cinnamon streusel crumble topping.
I added some optional pumpkin Seeds, also known as pepitas, because they’re healthy, colorful, and add some nice texture too. Besides, pumpkin seeds are full of healthy things like zinc, iron, copper, and magnesium.
That said, my main goal was to keep this coffee cake recipe easy. I think you’ll be pleased with the results.
How to Make a Vegan Coffee Cake
You may be used to making coffee cakes with eggs and dairy, so it may seem tricky to make it vegan. However, I’m here to tell you this it’s so easy to make coffee cake, or any cake for that matter, without eggs or dairy. Let’s go through this step-by-step.
Step One: Make the Streusel Topping
I like to make the streusel topping first because that way once the cake batter is made, we can add the topping immediately and get it into the oven. This helps take advantage of the learners in the batter to get a nice, fluffy cake.
So, let’s begin by combining the vegan streusel topping ingredients: Coconut sugar, cinnamon, vegan butter, and flour. Stir these together and then set aside or refrigerate.
Note: I used coconut sugar because I think it’s a bit healthier than some sugars and it has a nice caramel flavor. However, feel free to substitute granulated sugar if that’s what you have on hand.
Step Two: Prepare the Coffee Cake Batter
Next, prepare the coffee cake batter by beating together vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy. You can do this by hand or use a mixer. Next you’ll add the milk, flaxseed, cornstarch, and vinegar. Give that a stir to get it incorporated into the butter mixture.
In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then pour the flour in with the butter mixture and stir until just combined.
Note: I used all-purpose flour, but you can try different kinds of flour, like whole wheat pastry flour (which is not the same as whole wheat flour). If you want to use a whole wheat flour, I recommend going half and half with all-purpose flour to get a good texture.
OK. Back to the batter. Next you’ll pour the butter mixture in with the flour ingredients and stir to combine. I like using a whisk here to help break up any large clumps of flour. Mix the batter until just combined.
Pour the coffee cake batter into the prepared baking pan and sprinkle the crumble topping and pumpkin seeds over the top. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until the edges of the cake are golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
Love vegan breakfast recipes?
Yes, it’s true this is the best coffee cake recipe. Of course! But if you’d like some other vegan breakfast recipe ideas, here are some great ones to try:
- This Vegan Breakfast Casserole has layers of biscuits, tofu scramble, and vegan sausage all topped with cheese!
- These Chocolate Glazed Baked Donuts are so delicious with or without sprinkles!
- Make these Vegan Breakfast Burritos and freeze them. A quick minute or two in the microwave and they’re ready for your next no-hassle meal!
- You will love this easy Vegan Chocolate Croissant recipe!
- Finally, make a batch of my 10-Minute Tofu Scramble to serve over toast. It’s perfect!
Use these tips to making this vegan breakfast cake recipe perfect every time:
- For the vegan butter I use Earth Balance
- Make sure the butter is softened by leaving it out on the counter for about 30 minutes
- You can double the crumble topping if you like more streusel
- Make this into a gluten free cinnamon streusel coffee cake by using gluten free baking flour in place of all-purpose flour. Vegan gluten free coffee cake is perfect for people with all kinds of food allergies and sensitivities!
- There’s nothing like a breakfast cake topped with streusel. Make sure every slice enjoys some streusel by spreading it evenly across the coffee cake batter
- The pumpkin seeds are optional on this vegan crumble cake — if you don’t like them you can leave them out
- Add 1 cup of peeled, sliced apples to the batter to make vegan apple coffee cake
- To make vegan coffee cake muffins, pour the batter into greased or papered muffin tins and then distribute the crumble topping evenly over each muffin before baking.
- Make vegan blueberry coffee cake by adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries to the coffee cake batter
- I think this simple coffee cake would be delicious baked as donuts in a donut pan. Can you imagine vegan coffee cake donuts, because I sure can!
- Make this into a sugar free coffee cake by using Swerve sweetener. It bakes 1:1 like sugar!
That’s it for this dairy free coffee cake recipe!
I hope you love this recipe as we do. Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Coffee Cake
For the Crumble Topping:
- Heat your oven to 350Spray a 9X9 pan with vegetable spray.
- For the Crumble Topping: combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, pinch of salt, and vegan butter in a bowl. Stir to combine. Add the flour and stir until combined. Set aside.
- For the coffee cake: in a large bowl cream together the 3/4 cup of vegan butter and 1 cup of sugar. You can use a spoon here, but stir vigorously until light and fluffy. Add the plant-based milk, ground flax meal, cornstarch, and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine.
- In a medium size bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine. Add the flour mixture to the milk mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish. Evenly distribute the crumble topping across the batter. Sprinkle the top with pumpkin seeds. Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. The crumble topping should be nice and golden brown as well.
- When done, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.