Yes, that’s right. This is the Best Vegan Coffee Cake. Ever. You know why? Because it has pumpkin seeds. Enough said.
I live my days with tiny obsessions. I fixate on things like chai-flavored foods. I’ve got Chai Chocolate Cake and Chai Muffins. I even started a Be My Chai pinterest board so I could take that obsession to the next level. I’m not messing around here, people! 🙂
My only saving grace is there’s a reason I fixate on these things, and it’s not just about how good they taste. The thing is the seasonings in Chai are so good for you – cinnamon, cardamon, chives, ginger, and nutmeg.
The same thing goes for pumpkin seeds. They’re not only tasty (and crunchy) but they’re really good for you too.
All the people in the house say – Oh, Yah!
Don’t you just want to sit down to a slice of that coffee cake right now?
What I Love About This Pumpkin Seed Vegan Coffee Cake
This coffee cake has reached its fulfillment in life — is everything it’s meant to be. That’s because it’s soft and tender on the inside and crispy, crunchy on the outside. The pumpkin seeds help. But so does that streusel crumble topping.
I feel like Homer Simpson, because all I can think to say right now is, “Mmmm, streusel crumble topping” in a low mumbly voice.
Pumpkin Seeds, also known as pepitas, are more than part of a delicious crunchy topping though. They’re also full of healthy things like zinc, a range of antioxidants, iron, copper, and magnesium. Sounds like a vitamin. It’s almost like the Pepita is trying to show up Fred Flinstone or something!
Fred Flintstone vitamins are still a thing. Right? I didn’t just say something that instantly makes me look a bazillion years old. Right? Sigh.
I keep a little glass container of pumpkin seeds on the counter and I grab a few from time-to-time. They’re great on salads…or soup…or even coffee cake. Don’t you just love how that all came full circle? 🙂
Vegan Coffee Cake
- For the Crumble Topping:
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup vegan butter softened
- 1½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- For the Coffee Cake:
- ¾ cup vegan butter Earth Balance
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup plant-based milk soy, almond, etc
- 1 tablespoon ground flax meal
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Heat your oven to 350Spray a 9X9 pan with vegetable spray.
- For the Crumble Topping: combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, pinch of salt, and vegan butter in a bowl. Stir to combine. Add the flour and stir until combined. Set aside.
- For the coffee cake: in a large bowl cream together the 3/4 cup of vegan butter and 1 cup of sugar. You can use a spoon here, but stir vigorously until light and fluffy. Add the plant-based milk, ground flax meal, cornstarch, and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine.
- In a medium size bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine. Add the flour mixture to the milk mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish. Evenly distribute the crumble topping across the batter. Sprinkle the top with pumpkin seeds. Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. The crumble topping should be nice and golden brown as well.
- When done, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Here are some other delicious Coffee Cake recipes from around the interwebs!
- Blue Ribbon Coffee Cake by Baked Bree. Delish!
- Coffee Cake with Blackberry Glaze by Dine and Dish. Blackberry Glaze!!
- Vegan Raspberry Jam Swirl Coffee Cake by the Post Punk Kitchen. Go Issa!
Whatever coffee cake you’re consuming, enjoy!