This easy Vegan Coffee Cake Recipe with vegan Streusel topping is perfect for breakfast with a cup of coffee. Vegan Cinnamon Coffee Cake recipe is a vegan crumb cake with just the right amount of cinnamon streusel topping!
This easy coffee cake recipe is dairy-free and scrumptious! Make this vegetarian coffee cake recipe and see my tips on transforming this cake into vegan coffee cake muffins or gluten free vegan coffee cake!
I live my days with tiny obsessions. I fixate on things like chai-flavored foods. I’ve got Chai Chocolate Cake and Chai Muffins. I even started a Be My Chai pinterest board so I could take that obsession to the next level. I’m not messing around here, people! 🙂
My only saving grace is there’s a reason I fixate on these things, and it’s not just about how good they taste. The thing is the seasonings in Chai are so good for you – cinnamon, cardamon, chives, ginger, and nutmeg — these are more than spices. They’re superfood powerhouse spices!
I used to think coffee cake meant cake and coffee…together! Once I learned it was so much more than that, I was hooked! Of course, that meant I had to figure out a way to make a coffee cake vegan!
More About This Easy Coffee Cake Recipe
Vegan coffee cake recipes should create a vegan cinnamon cake that is soft and moist on the inside and crispy, crunchy on the outside. It’s basically a quick cake recipe with streusel crumble topping.
Pumpkin Seeds, also known as pepitas, are full of healthy things like zinc, a range of antioxidants, iron, copper, and magnesium.
My main goal was to keep this no egg coffee cake recipe easy! I think you’ll be pleased with the results.
How to Make a Vegan Coffee Cake without Eggs
To make this egg free coffee cake, begin by combining the vegan streusel topping ingredients: Coconut sugar, cinnamon, vegan butter, and flour. Stir these together and then set aside or refrigerate.
Next, prepare the moist coffee cake recipe by beating together vegan butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Then add the milk, flaxseed, cornstarch, and vinegar.
In a separate bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Then pour the flour in with the butter mixture and stir until just combined.
Pour the breakfast coffee cake batter into the prepared pan and top with the crumble topping and pumpkin seeds. Bake for 25 – 30 minutes until the edges of the cake are golden brown and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
This recipe for coffee cake is the best!
Love vegan breakfast recipes?
Yes, it’s true this is the best coffee cake recipe! If you’d like some other vegan breakfast recipe ideas, try these:
- This Vegan Breakfast Casserole has layers of biscuits, tofu scramble, and vegan sausage all topped with cheese!
- These Chocolate Glazed Baked Donuts are so delicious with or without sprinkles!
- You will love this easy Vegan Chocolate Croissant recipe!
- Finally, make a batch of my 10-Minute Tofu Scramble to serve over toast. It’s perfect!
Use these tips to making this vegan breakfast cake recipe perfect every time:
- For vegan butter I use Earth Balance
- Make sure the butter is softened by leaving it out on the counter for about 30 minutes
- You can double the crumble topping if you like more streusel
- Make this into a gluten free cinnamon streusel coffee cake by using gluten free baking flour in place of all-purpose flour. Vegan gluten free coffee cake is perfect for people with all kinds of food allergies and sensitivities!
- There’s nothing like a breakfast cake topped with streusel. Be sure to spread the streusel topping evenly across the coffee cake batter
- The pumpkin seeds are optional on this vegan crumble cake — if you don’t like them you can leave them out
- Add 1 cup of peeled, sliced apples to the batter to make vegan apple coffee cake
- To make vegan coffee cake muffins, pour the batter into greased or papered muffin tins and then distribute the crumble topping evenly over each muffin before baking.
- Make vegan blueberry coffee cake by adding 1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries to the coffee cake batter
- I think this simple coffee cake would be delicious baked in a donut pan. Can you imagine vegan coffee cake donuts!
- Make this into a sugar free coffee cake by using Swerve sweetener. It bakes 1:1 like sugar!
That’s it for this dairy free coffee cake recipe!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Coffee Cake
For the Crumble Topping:
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup vegan butter , softened
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- Heat your oven to 350Spray a 9X9 pan with vegetable spray.
- For the Crumble Topping: combine the brown sugar, cinnamon, pinch of salt, and vegan butter in a bowl. Stir to combine. Add the flour and stir until combined. Set aside.
- For the coffee cake: in a large bowl cream together the 3/4 cup of vegan butter and 1 cup of sugar. You can use a spoon here, but stir vigorously until light and fluffy. Add the plant-based milk, ground flax meal, cornstarch, and apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine.
- In a medium size bowl combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir to combine. Add the flour mixture to the milk mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared baking dish. Evenly distribute the crumble topping across the batter. Sprinkle the top with pumpkin seeds. Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean. The crumble topping should be nice and golden brown as well.
- When done, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.