This is the best Vegan Blueberry Cake recipe and it even comes with an amazing Vanilla Frosting! Imagine a moist, vegan layer cake recipe made with minimal ingredients! You’ll love this easy blueberry muffin cake! Real blueberries are added to the batter and the blueberry sponge cake frosting is an amazing creamy vanilla icing. Make this cake using frozen blueberries if fresh are not available. Instructions for making this into a vegan blueberry bundt cake and/or making it gluten-free are provided.
I picked blueberries by hand and ended up with a bounty of fresh berries! I needed some recipes for blueberry vegan recipes to take advantage of them. Blueberries cake seemed like the next logical step.
There’s nothing like having fresh blueberries on hand. Now I’m a big fan of recipes with blueberries!
My sister happens to live close to a stash of blackberry bushes so it’s always a goal to go blackberry picking too! Do you love cooking with fresh fruit? Do you enjoy picking them yourself? I highly recommend it as a family outing if you have the chance!
Why You’ll Love Easy Blueberry Cake Recipes
I tasted, I mean, tested this moist blueberry cake recipe from scratch several times before sharing it with you. I wanted it to be just right. Of course, it helps that I used my Vegan Vanilla Cake as a foundation, transforming it into a vanilla blueberry cake.
If you like a fresh, berry cake recipe, you’re going to love vegan blueberry cakes recipes. I used a simple vanilla frosting for the filling and topping. You’ll notice that I didn’t frost the sides of the cake, otherwise known as a “naked cake.”
I know. I know. A naked cake with blueberry sounds kinds of intriguing. It’s simply a cake with a “barely there” layer of frosting. I simply frosted the top of each cake, and left the sides bare.
It’s easy to get out of control with the frosting. I think letting the flavors of the cake come out in this dessert is better than overcrowding it with too much frosting.
How to Make Blueberry Cake
This is the best blueberry cake ever, not only because it tastes great! Make this fresh blueberry cake recipe easy by following the steps below.
Stir together the dry ingredients in a large bowl: all-purpose flour, vanilla protein powder, salt, and baking soda.
In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients: vegetable oil, water, apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract.
Pour the flour ingredients into the wet and stir until just combined. Pour into your prepared pans and bake. For two round pans, you’ll want to bake 30 – 35 minutes.
Use these tips and tricks to make this recipe for blueberry cake with frosting perfect every time:
- You can add more blueberries to make it the ultimate vegan blueberry pound cake
- This recipe uses vegan butter — I used Earth Balance
- Be sure and leave the butter sitting on the counter for about 30 minutes to soften it
- I made this into a layer cake, but you could make it as a blueberry sheet cake by baking it in a 9X13 inch cake pan. Bake it for 40 – 50 minutes until a tester inserted in the center comes out clean
- Make this into a blueberry cake with cream cheese frosting by using the frosting on my carrot cake recipe (see link below)
- I could see adding a little bit of cinnamon, like a half teaspoon for added spice
- Add a tablespoon of lemon zest and/or a teaspoon of lemon extract to make a vegan lemon blueberry cake
- Looking for other flavors to combine with this cake? I love this guide from The Spruce Eats on flavors to combine with berries. It’s geared toward beverages, but the flavors work wit other recipes too
- Transform this into a gluten free blueberry cake by using gluten free baking flour instead of all purpose flour
- Make sure to have your pans prepared and the oven heated before combining the flour with the wet ingredients. Once you mix the batter, you want to bake it immediately.
- You can substitute whole wheat pastry flour for the all purpose flour
- If you don’t have vanilla protein powder, you can substitute almond flour
- Make this into a Blueberry Bundt Cake by pouring batter into a greased and floured bundt pan. Bake for 45 – 50 minutes until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Don’t have fresh berries? Make a frozen blueberry cake by using frozen berries instead.
- Feel free to substitute mixed berries such as blackberries and raspberries in this recipe too.
- Crumbling some chopped pecans on the batter before baking would be a nice touch
- As I said above, feel free to halve this recipe and just make one round instead of a layer cake with blueberries
I highly recommend serving this homemade blueberry cake with a glass of my Iced Chai Latte. They go so perfectly together!
Love Simple Vegan Cake Recipes?
Sure, this is one of the best vegan blueberry recipes ever. But if you’re looking to expand your dessert repertoire, be sure and try these other easy vegan cakes:
- This Vegan Carrot Cake boasts a delicious vegan cream cheese frosting
- A Vegan Chocolate Sheet Cake is topped with silky chocolate frosting infused with chopped pecans
- Have you tried this Vegan Chocolate Pudding Cake? It’s amazing!
- If you love vegan blueberry dessert recipes, make room on your dessert table for this Vegan Cheesecake with Blueberry Topping. It’s one of my best fresh blueberry desserts!
- This Chocolate Cherry Dump Cake is also infused with fruit, but it’s easy and chocolate and delicious!
Of course, this blueberry vegan cake is great with other frostings too. For example the Vegan Cream Cheese frosting on the Carrot Cake recipe above would be delicious!
Need More Blueberry Recipes?
If you’re looking for more blueberries recipes, be sure and try these:
- These Vegan Blueberry Crumble Bars are so healthy and delicious!
- These Vegan Blueberry Muffins are a go-to breakfast idea as well!
- Finally, this Vegan Blueberry Overnight Oats recipe is outstanding any time of day!
- This Vegan Blueberry Lemon Cake is pretty outstanding!
I love all these easy vegan blueberry cake recipes!
That’s it for this blueberry pie cake, as we affectionally call it!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Blueberry Cake
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Oil
- 1 1/2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 – 2 tablespoons Plant-Based Milk, Vanilla Flavored
- Heat your oven to 350F. Spray two round cake pans with vegetable spray. You can also place a piece of parchment paper at the bottom of the pans and spray the sides with vegetable oil.
- Combine in a large mixing bowl the flour, sugar, protein powder, salt and baking soda. Stir to combine.
- Add the fresh or frozen blueberries to the flour mixture and slightly stir to make sure the blueberries are coated.
- In a smaller bowl combine the vegetable oil, water, vinegar and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Pour the water mixture into the flour mixture. Stir until combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pans. Bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- When the cakes are done, remove from the oven. Allow the cakes to cool for about 10 minutes before inverting onto a serving plate.
- Make the frosting, by combining the coconut oil with the powdered sugar. Stir until a crumbly mixture forms. Add plant-based milk, one tablespoon at a time until you achieve a nice, spreadable texture.
- Spread half the frosting on the top of the bottom cake. Place the second cake on top of the frosted cake. Spread the remaining frosting on the top layer. Do not frost the sides.
Whatever vegan dessert recipe you’re getting your fork ready for, enjoy!