Make this healthy chocolate overnight oats recipe to indulge your taste buds and your desire to eat nutritiously. Made with only 6 ingredients, this recipe is so easy. Drizzle the top with vegan chocolate syrup and fresh raspberries, and you’ve got yourself the perfect chocolatey start to the day!
I absolutely love overnight oats because it transforms a simple meal into something spectacular. There’s something about soaking oats for a long time that makes them fluffy and delicious. I love chocolate for breakfast, too. Take these vegan chocolate croissants or these vegan chocolate donuts. Chocolate and breakfast work wonders together!
Why This Recipe is a Winner
- Maple syrup adds just the right amount of natural sweetness, leaving this recipe refined-sugar free
- Adding chocolate chips to the batter creates bites of texture and delicious chocolate flavor throughout
- Oats soaked in plant-based milk creates a fluffy texture that makes every bite undeniably delicious
- This is a “hands-off” recipe, using only 6 ingredients and a few minutes of your time!
You can find the full printable recipe, including ingredient quantities, below. But first, here are some explanations of ingredients and steps to help you make this recipe perfect every time.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for this recipe:
- Vegan yogurt — I used Forager’s plain coconut yogurt, but any plain dairy-free yogurt would work here.
- Plant-based milk — I used unsweetened almond milk, but you can use any plant-based milk such as pecan milk, cashew milk, soy milk, and more.
- Maple syrup — Adding maple syrup gives this oats recipe its sweeteners. You can substitute agave nectar or any of your favorite syrup sweeteners.
- Rolled oats — We’ll be using old-fashioned or rolled oats for this recipe. You can substitute instant oats, but it will impact the consistency. The good news is that instant oats soften quicker so if you’re in a hurry, they’re great!
- Cocoa Powder — Here you can use either natural cocoa powder or dutch-process cocoa powder. Dutch-process cocoa powder has some of its acids neutralized during processing, creating a milder flavor and a beautiful darker color.
- Chocolate Chips — Use my dairy-free chocolate chips guide to find the best vegan chocolate chips for you!
Want more protein? This recipe already has 10g of protein per serving. But you can substitute the cocoa powder with plant-based chocolate protein powder to create chocolate protein overnight oats.
How to Make Chocolate Overnight Oats
- Mix the vegan yogurt and almond milk.
- Stir the oats and cocoa powder together.
- Pour the yogurt mixture with the oats mixture and stir to combine.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, up to overnight.
- To serve, transfer to individual serving dishes.
Here are more detailed instructions with step-by-step photos:
Step One: Creamy Yogurt Mixture
In a bowl, combine the vegan yogurt and almond milk. Stir until smooth.
Step Two: Make the Oatmeal Mixture
In a separate bowl, stir together the oats and cocoa powder.
Step Three: Create the Oatmeal Batter
Then pour the yogurt mixture in with the oat mixture and stir to combine.
These oats are soooo good!
Are overnight oats healthy?
Overnight oats are healthy because they’re loaded with fiber, protein, and even more nutritional benefits. Using a natural sweetener like maple syrup is another great way of making them even healthier.
Do you eat overnight oats cold?
You can eat overnight oats either cold or hot, depending on how you like it best.
Store overnight oats in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 7 days. To serve, transfer to individual bowls and serve cold or heat it in the microwave until warm.
Vegan Oatmeal Recipes
These vegan chocolate overnight oats are amazing! If you want more overnight oats, be sure to taste these scrumptious Biscoff Overnight Oats. Here are even more vegan oatmeal recipes you’ll love:
Chocolate Overnight Oats
- In a bowl, combine the vegan yogurt and almond milk. Stir until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the oats and cocoa powder. Then gradually incorporate the yogurt mixture with the oat mixture.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour, up to overnight.
- To serve, transfer to individual serving containers. Top each serving with chocolate syrup chocolate chips and a drizzle of peanut butter.
(The products above contain sponsored links to products we use and recommend)
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.