This Best Easy Vegan Stroganoff recipe tastes like the creamy, tangy dinner dish you remember. Vegan Stroganoff is a perfect easy vegan recipe to include for your hearty vegan meals! This vegetarian stroganoff recipe is meat-free and made with only a few ingredients. If you love quick, easy delicious vegan recipes, this one is made in less than 30 minutes! See tips for adding mushrooms to make this into a mushroom stroganoff meal!
If you’re transitioning (or on) a vegan diet, but you yearn for the recipes of the past, I’ve got some good news for you. This Easy Vegan Beef Stroganoff recipe is all that and more, because it tastes amazing and is ready in thirty minutes.
If you’re into easy vegan recipes ready in thirty minutes or less, check out my other very good vegan meals such as my Vegan Spaghetti Pie recipe or my Vegan Penne Pasta and Sausage recipe. There’s also my Vegan Enchiladas that we make on repeat around here!
Why Vegans Love Stroganoff
I had someone ask me once why vegans felt the need to recreate vegan versions of traditional meat-based recipes.
My mind flashed back to a favorite Calvin and Hobbes comic strip. The one where Calvin is hammering nails into the living room coffee table and his mom walks in and screams, “CALVIN! What are you doing to the coffee table!” And he responds, “Is this a trick question or what?”
So when this fella asked me that question, I had the same thought run through my mind. Is this a trick question or what?
Just because I don’t eat animals doesn’t mean I don’t crave the dishes I grew up eating!
Are you with me?
If you liked a good stroganoff as a meat-eater, who’s to say you can’t enjoy the same flavors in a veg stroganoff as a vegan! That’s why this vegan beef recipe comes in so handy.
Tasty Vegan Recipes
I started making beef stroganoff for my mom when I was a teenager. Except we didn’t have the budget for beef so I used hamburger. I used to enjoy having dinner ready for my mom when she got home from work.
Wow, did she miss me when I went off to college. 🙂
How to Make Vegan Stroganoff
It’s easy to make stroganoff vegan. I took the basic foundation of a traditional stroganoff and used vegan meat and dairy substitutes. As far as delicious vegan recipes go, this one is at the top of the list!
Step One: Buy Eggless Noodles
To make this hearty vegan meal, I started with the eggless noodles. I’ve done a little research and here are some options for eggless wide noodle products:
- Our local grocer store is Price Chopper and they carry Best Value-branded ingredients. Best Value just happens to have an eggless wide noodle product. Be sure to look at your store brand’s products to see if they offer this as well.
- I’ve since learned that Walmart also offers an eggless wide noodle product under its store brand name, Great Value.
- DeBoles offers an eggless wide noodle product too
Step Two: Cook the Noodles
To make this easy vegan dinner, begin by cooking the egg noodles according to the package instructions. I love tender, wide noodles!
Step Three: Cook the Beefless Tips
Next, cook the beefless tips with some vegetable oil in a skillet. They should be nice and browned. You can even use a spatula to break them into smaller pieces if you want. Transfer the cooked beefless tips to a plate lined with a paper towel.
Step Four: Create the Stroganoff Sauce
Then you’ll add onions to the skillet and cook until they’re tender. Then add the minced garlic and cook for just a minute before adding some flour. This is what creates that nice gravy-like sauce.
In a separate bowl combine the No Beef Bouillon with the wine, vegan Worcestershire, and water. Stir to combine this vegan stroganoff sauce. Pour half of this sauce over the onion garlic mixture in the skillet. Use a spatula to get the bits at the bottom of the skillet.
Then add the rest of the sauce and cook and stir for 5 minutes or so, until the gravy thickens.
Add the vegan sour cream and vegan yogurt and stir to combine. This will make a nice, creamy vegetarian stroganoff sauce.
Step Five: Combine, Plate it, and Serve
Add the beefless tips to the sauce and serve the vegetable stroganoff over cooked noodles.
Expert Tips for Meatless Stroganoff:
Use these expert tips to make this vegetarian beef stroganoff recipe perfect every time:
- You’ll want to buy the Gardein Beefless Tips I used for this recipe. I can find these at a Target, but they’re also available at our local Natural Grocers store and Sprouts.
- Feel free to substitute mushrooms for the vegetarian beef tips to make a portobello stroganoff. I love using small portobello mushrooms. Simply wash them and pat dry and then follow the instructions below
- Alternatively you can continue using the meatless beef tips and add sliced mushrooms in the step with the onions
- Another alternative is to use veggie meatballs in place of the beefless tips for move of a meatball stroganoff recipe
- For yet another option, use cauliflower florets instead of the beefless tips and cook until they’re just tender.
- I can find vegan Worcestershire sauce at most health food stores and even in the health food section of our local grocery store
- For an even creamier sauce, use only vegan sour cream and leave out the vegan yogurt
- For a more low fat vegan stroganoff, use only vegan yogurt and leave out the vegan sour cream
- Finally, create tofu stroganoff by using cubed tofu in place of the beefless tips. Use extra firm tofu and press it first and then cut it into 1/2 inch cubes and fry it in place of beefless tips. It will be delicious!
Veggie stroganoff is one of my favorite go-to best vegan meals! It’s so hearty and creamy!
Love Easy Vegan Recipes?
If you love easy vegan recipes, be sure to give these a try:
- These Vegan Enchiladas are easy to make and oh-so-tasty!
- Make this Vegan Lasagna because it’s easy, and eat it because it’s delish!
- Want more Gardein Beefless Tips Recipes? Try this easy and amazing Vegan Beef Stew that even meat eaters love!
- Looking for vegan one pot meals? This Chickpea Curry is the best!
You can change up the flavors of this Easy Vegan Beef Stroganoff by using the following adaptions:
- Add sliced mushrooms
- Use veggie meatballs instead of the beefless tips
- Use cooked cauliflower florets instead of beefless tips
Also, now that we’ve got the taste buds ready to go, one of the best things about this Vegan Beef Stroganoff recipe is that it’s so easy. It’s one of the best vegan dishes around!
I hope you love this recipe as we do! Have you tried it? Be sure and leave a comment and a rating of this recipe below and then take a quick photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram. I love seeing your creations!
Vegan Beef Stroganoff
- 10 ounces egg-free wide noodles*
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 10 oz package Gardein Beefless Tips thawed**
- ¼ minced onion
- 1-2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons No Beef Bouillon
- 1 tablespoon white wine optional
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup vegan sour cream or vegan plain yogurt not vanilla
- Cook the noodles according to package directions.
- Pour the half of the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add the vegan beefless tips in a single layer and cook until browned on one side. Flip pieces and cook on the other side. Place the cooked pieces on a paper towel. Set aside.
- Add the remaining half of the the vegetable oil to the skillet and add the minced onions and cook for about 1 minute before adding the garlic and cooking until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Sprinkle the cooked onions and garlic with the flour and stir it to coat the onions/garlic mixture. It’s supposed to be dry and crumbly at this point.
- In a separate bowl add the no beef bouillon, the white wine, vegan Worcestershire sauce. Add 1 cup of water and stir to combine.
- Add half of the broth to the onion mixture. Use a spatula to stir and scrape the bits on the skillet. Add the remaining half of the broth and stir to combine. Cook the sauce over medium heat another 5 minutes or so until it thickens.
- Stir in the vegan sour cream or vegan plain yogurt and cook for another minute or so to allow the sauce to thicken further. Add the vegan beefless tips back into the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Serve over egg-free noodles. Garnish with parsley or cilantro leaves.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.