I’m in a book reading club and oftentimes we bring dishes to share with others. My favorite is this Easy Black Bean Dip recipe. With less than 10 ingredients, I’m serving up this healthy and fresh-tasting dip in NO time! If you’re into easy vegan dips, check out my Vegan Queso Dip or my Vegan Pepperoni Pizza Dip. Dippidy Doo Dah!
Image this. It’s a Thursday. I’m proceeding along like every other Thursday in my life when I realize at the last minute…I’ve got a thing tonight! I mean a THING! You know, like something where I’m supposed to show up with food. To share with others.
It’s a little freaky…that moment when it hits me. What’s in my kitchen!
But I’ve got several easy vegan dip recipes I’ve already shared on this site (and more to come) and so my freak-out moments are no more!
How to Make Easy Black Bean Dip
It’s so fun to make a Easy Black Bean Dip at home. I could use If you’re wondering what the word “fresco” means, it’s Spanish for fresh. And that’s what’s involved here – a lot of fresh ingredients.
I combined a can of black beans with some fresh sliced garlic, jalapeños, cilantro and cherry tomatoes and some seasonings and “!ahí está! (That’s my interpretation of a Spanish version of Voila!)
Here’s some ways you can mix things up with this recipe:
- Add some vegan sour cream to make a creamy version
- Replace the cilantro with parsley if you have folks who don’t like the cilantro
- Add some smoke sauce or smoked paprika to create a smoky flavor
Everyone loves to talk about refried beans, but I say leave out the frying and the lard that comes along with it. In case you’re not sure what lard really is, it’s animal fat. Who wants to eat that!
But this Fresco Black Bean Dip is chockfull of fresh ingredients that begs for one chip after another! Delicioso!
This dip is so easy and the ingredients were so beautiful. We ended up taking a few more photos than normal.
Do you blame us?!
I was so excited to participate in the 2016 Fall Food Awards by AOL Lifestyle.* I’m part of the Lifestyle Blogging network and was honored to review several products they sent my way. For example, I am loving this Julsika Le Panier Whitewash Hostess Tray. It’s both elegant and practical for every-day use as well!
*Be sure to check out this page because you can win prizes!
We hope you love this fresco black bean dip as much as we do. If you decide to make it, share a photo with us using #namelymarly on Instagram. We love seeing your photos!
- 1 small yellow onion peeled, chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers seeds removed, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic peeled, chopped
- ¼ cup yellow or red bell pepper chopped
- 2 15 oz cans black beans drained
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder*
- 2 - 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 - 2 tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- 3 - 4 cherry tomatoes for garnish, sliced
Add the chopped onion, chopped jalapeño, garlic, bell pepper, black beans and water to a food processor bowl. Pulse a few times, pushing down contents that go up the sides. Add the cumin and cocoa powder and pulse again until smooth.
Place in a microwave-safe container and cook for 4 minutes. Remove from the microwave and allow to cool for a minute.
Stir in the lime juice and chopped cilantro. Add more lime juice and/or water to achieve a thinner consistency if necessary.
Garnish with chopped cherry tomatoes. Serve warm with tortilla chips.
* The cocoa powder adds some nice color and actually adds a nice, savory flavor as well.
If you’re into delicious black bean or vegan dips, check these out:
- Simple Black Bean Dip by an Edible Perspective
- 5-Minute Black Bean Dip by Cookin’ Canuk
- Spicy Black Bean Dip by PBS’ Kitchen Explorers
- Easy Vegan Queso Dip by yours truly!
Whatever dip is filling your chip, enjoy!