Normally I love getting engrossed in a recipe, maybe even spending multiple minutes (possibly even hours) in the kitchen. But not lately. Here’s a recipe that’s been enabling my recent minimal-kitchen-time tantrums: easy Vegan Chicken with Fig Sauce. It’s ready in 30 minutes or less.
Confession time. When I learned that Oprah bought Weight Watchers, I immediately subscribed to the Weight Watchers Magazine. I don’t know why. It’s not as if I follow along with the whole WW program. Personally, I’m more into finding ways to eat mindfully as Dr. Michelle May and I discussed.
Well, whatever the reason, I subscribed to Weight Watchers Magazine. That’s where I saw a recipe for some slab of meat covered in Fig Sauce. I thought, “I can do that.”
I don’t mean that that.
I mean, I can create a vegan version of that recipe. So I did.
The Best Vegan Chicken with Fig Sauce
There’s a vegan, gluten-free chicken patty, sautéed until browned in a pan, and then smothered with a delicious fig sauce. All in all, this recipe took around 20-25 minutes to prepare. Perfect!
You can play around with this recipe, add some things, take others away. Here are some adaptions:
- You can add a little vegan mayo to the fig sauce
- Add a slice of vegan cheese over the vegan chicken patties
- Try some caramelized onions on top
- A dollop of sweet mustard might be good too
- How about you sprinkle the top with some Tempeh Bacon?
Want to know what to serve on the side? This Vegan Chicken with Fig Sauce would go perfectly with Brussels Sprouts Slaw or Vegan Broccoli Salad. We served it with some cooked baby carrots and a salad.
If you decide to make this recipe at home, snap a photo and share it with me using #namelymarly on Instagram or Snapchat (I’m @namelymarly). We love seeing your photos!
Vegan Chicken with Fig Sauce
- 1 package Gardein Chicken Patties thawed*
- 2 – 3 teaspoons olive oil
- ¼ cup finely chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon white wine optional
- ½ – 1 teaspoon Better than Bouillon No Chicken Base**
- ¼ cup water
- 2 tablespoons fig jam
- Pour olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add vegan chicken patties and cook until browned on both sides. Transfer to a plate and cover with a lid to keep warm.
- In the same skillet add the onions and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add the wine to the skillet and use that to help scrape up browned bits on the pan.
- Add the broth, water and jam to the skillet. Stir to combine. Add more jam or water to create the desired consistency.
- Serve the prepared Vegan Chicken Patties drizzled with fig sauce.
The nutrition information shown is an estimate provided by an online nutrition calculator and should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
If you’re into vegan chicken recipes, then try this Vegan Chicken Sandwich sandwich!
Whatever vegan chicken dish is delighting you, enjoy!